Beetle Resuscitation Continues...Have a Moment for a Couple of Dumb Questions-?

('62 Type 1)

I appreciate the answers a little earlier RE getting to old Bug back running. So far, so good. And now...

--time for new axle boots. I have a pair of Bilstiens--is it a good idea to put any gasket material or silicone, etc., on the mating surfaces and around the axle-? The boots came with a set of bizarre clamps that simply ratchet on. I'd rather use the yankee-style clamps, (only snugged up).

--all four wheel cylinders are toast (not unexpected). For cost considerations, I need Brazilian / Mexican replacements, I guess--any recommendations-?

--I bought a 6v battery from the [felons] at the local Auto Zone--it seems to be a little tall and I can't put the back seat trim rail (with its metal tabs for the air duct) in place. I really plan to convert this to 12v; the 6v is a short term measure. Are there 12v batteries that will fit within the space designed so long ago-? I can assume the original cover will not fit one so what can one do to protect the poles from the seat springs-?

--does this lead to insanity-? A neighbor, who sees me monkeying with cars, came over to ask my opinion of his car's rough idle. It was a [rice burner] with fuel injection. This made my Bug seem even dearer.

RANT: I really hate the Volkswagen TV ad that uses a Bug to glorify their latest techno-whiz SUV. In my opinion, VW has betrayed everyone who wants a simple, reliable and easily repairable set of wheels. I know it's a little naiive of me, but there--I said it. Whewwww. BURP.

Danke,

BuZzY

Reply to
BuZzY

I just have the battery covered by a porous plastic rag. cheap, and its covered byt the seat anyway :=)

Yes it does. You get to the point where you actually look after a nice saturday morning engine pull to check the clutch :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski