Beetle towing

That will work just fine. You might check the tranny oil level.

For 300 miles you'll want trailer lights and (maybe) temp tags on the towed vehicle.

For a bit of amusement, read "The Tow Job" on my web site:

Speedy Jim

I am thinking about buying a 73 super beetle fixer upper... Its not in running condition right now .. Its about 300 miles away from my house I own a tow dolly, (2 rear wheels still on the ground) Do you guys think it would be ok to tow it for 300 miles in neutral with the 2 rear wheels on the ground or will that screw up the tranny ? Should I spring for the uhaul car carrier rental ?

Thanks, Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Olkowski

What SJ Said.........'cept I'll ad a thought or two.......

If it's a autostick disconnect the rear axels from the hubs. Just tie 'em up with a coat hanger or something similar.

This is not a bad idea even if it's not an autostick. Just more work.

If the vehicle to be towed has been sitting a while, I also recommend pulling the rear drums and removing all brake components to tow. This will eliminate the possibilty of problems in that 300 mile journey.

And get a good set of tires to tow on and a spare or two to carry with.

Planty of other things could be issues, but if it will roll, these things will keep the issues to a minimum.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

What are you doing, trying to scare him away? :)

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Hi Ryan,

Would it not be better to tie/lock the steering and lift the rear wheels?

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

last July, I towed a 73 Ghia from Seattle Wa to Lawton Ok (about 2000 miles) with a VW tow bar. Before the trip I put on a new set of tires, changed all of the wheel bearings and removed the axles. Except for the 20 pounds of bugs I picked up in the Ghia's windshield, the whole trip went great.

Tracy

73 Ghia Coupe 74 Ghia Coupe

Reply to
Tracy