Blown Plug off Carb

My engine backfired the other day and blew the dime sized plug off the front of the carb? Can this be sealed back on or do I need a new carb? JB Weld?

Mike

69 78 Vert
Reply to
SRV Mojo

Nor-Cal Dave

I had the same thing happen to me out on the road. I tied a knot in a plastic grocery bag (Publix)and stuffed it in the hole then tied the ends around the back of the carb and the thing ran great all the way home.

I had an old carb that should have already been trashed, popped the knockout out and tapped it in with a few whacks of a slightly smaller socket.

I actually felt like I knew what I was doing.

Bobby in Savannah

Reply to
RDavis1957

The PO of the westy I just bought must have did his on the road (or he was REALLY LAZY) He used a dime but did'nt size it into the hole, instead he wrapped a zip tie around the carb to hold the dime in place over the hole and then took clear silicone caulk and just gobbed it all over everything. its doing the trick but its definitly not a pretty site!

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Thanks for the tips.

Luckly I found the plug laying in the driveway. I cleaned everything, pressed the plug back in, and sealed it with JB Weld.

Reply to
SRV Mojo

THIS CAN CAUSE AN ENGINE FIRE!!

Sorry but the plug popping out can cause an engine fire, I have had it happen before. I would suggest useing epoxy to help seal all stock carbs just as perventive measurement.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
Braukuche