Body saw recommendations anyone?

Hi all

I've been tinkering around with my sawsall on my bug but it feels like I am doing surgery with an axe. It is big and cuts too quick. A cutoff wheel works well, but that's really the other side of the spectrum.

Having used a pneumatic body saw before, I was thinking that this seems to be a nice in between option -- certainly a lot smaller than my trusty sawsall and easier to control.

Are the $30 ones on ebay or harbor freight any good? Anything I should look for?

tia. Remco

Reply to
remco

Been there with this issue too............ I found the Air-saw to be the one. Now,...........for what it's worth on the tool...........I recommend a good one. I recommend a MAC brand unit. If you can afford it. The construction is better than any other brand I've used and lord knows I've used all of them from Snap-On tools on down the line..........I bought a MAC one at a swap meet some years back and used it up ( but I have to tell you, I am VERY hard on tools, and this one didn;t have a lot of life left in it when I bought it.) All other brands tend to stop/bind up on too many small issues. The MAC is the least likely to bind, and the most likely to make it through more materials withoutn binding............ All of 'em have a hard time with dull blades though, so Keep a large Qty of good brand blades on hand also,..........and wear yer safety stuff.!!!!!

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Thanks! Per your suggestion, I've been trying to find a MAC body saw and have not found one yet: Lotsa old auctions show up when it is googled so it will take a while to sift through it all -- will keep looking. The MAC product catalog does not seem to list it anymore. Maybe they discontinued it?

Did find some second hand blue snap-on saws. Snap on hand tools are great but don't own anything else by them. Also found a new Ingersoll-Rand body saw (IR 429) on Amazon. I like my other IR tools - is their body saw allright?

Remc

Reply to
Remco

I have one of the IR saws also. It works, but not nearly as solidly as the MAC unit. The price was right though. I bought it new for less than the used up MAC one I bought.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Thanks -- really appreciate the recommendation. I hate crappy tools, so will keep looking for the MAC. If I can't find a used one or can't afford it, I'll get the IR.

Remco

Reply to
remco

I know it's a long link, but just use the search of

"Mac Tools, Air saw"

everything between the " " and there are two that are good price right now, ........one is brand new. The other I didn;t check. Just don;t buy the red plastic one.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

If I were in the position of seriously wondering about this I would definitely email Ken at

He snags vw buses and TOTALLY cuts them down to nothing. I've been by his place and seen half buses, third buses and quarter buses standing there that he is in the process of cutting panels and pieces off of. Since he's a guy that has cut through scores of vw's over many years I think it'd definitely be worth shooting him an email. You can do it from his site.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Thanks for looking out! When I did an ebay search, I searched for Mactools, not "Mac Tools" so didn't see it. I put a bid in so we'll see what happens..

Reply to
remco

Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll ask him what he thinks.

Reply to
Remco

On 27 Aug 2005 12:19:39 -0700, "Terry" scribbled this interesting note:

If volume is your goal, then a real reciprocating saw is what you want. Sawzall or similar. With a good supply of metal cutting blades.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

Reply to
remco

Got one of those (been doing a fair amount of home demolit-er-I-mean-restoration over the years :)

A great tool and could probably cut a bug to small pieces in about 30 minutes with the right blade. They are just too big in tight quarters and hard to control with one hand.

Reply to
remco

Good Luck Sir.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:02:37 -0400, "remco" scribbled this interesting note:

The demolition comes before the restoration, as you know. You ought to come for a visit sometime!

Scott, aka Muadib, has cut up several Beetles with a Sawzall. He borrowed mine one time and then went right out and purchased his own. It takes more than thirty minutes, especially if you want to avoid cutting yourself. We once took a gasoline powered generator to a field where a '65 Beetle was. We took along a worm drive Skil saw and a Sawzall. After some experimentation we decided the Sawzall was the right tool for the job. Didn't leave much for the junk man!:~)

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

Yeah, I like demolition - Very effective stress relief. :) A long time ago, while in college, I had a job where we were to demo this office building's floor - What fun we had, 18 year olds throwing eachother through walls and kicking doors off the frame.. That's probably where my love affair with demolition started :)

That's funny, cutting up a bug small enough to slip in the garbage, huh? I though I was a rebel, doing that to sheetrock here (there seems to be no legal way to dump it for an weekend worrior like me - the dump doesn't even take it. I usually slip the larger pieces between walls as I go but what do you do with that D#@%N last piece?)

I once saw a demonstration where a guy cut up an old hooptie in about 15-20 minutes. With 'cut up' I mean chunks small enough to put on a pickup truck by yourself. He used this long bimetal blade that I'd never seen before. A mean narly looking blade - forget the name just now but could just step out to the garage to get it: It was an effective demonstration, because I did end up buying a pack. They are great!

You're right: I probably couldn't cut up my bug in 30 minutes but also wouldn't want to. :)

Remco

Reply to
remco

Here's that demo blade I was talking about. It works great, but cuts rediculously aggressive: //

Remco

The recip saw works great. I had '73 SB that I cut apart for salable pieces. What I had left over would not be acceptable to the recycle depot. There, I just kept cutting and made small enough pieces to be put in the plastic bags and put into the dumpster. The entire bug body was dispose of this way and used only 1 trip tot he recycle center.

Dave T.

Reply to
Dave Tosi