Transmission-HiPo advice

Hi guys,

I need to know some "brands" and where to look for a transmission which is suitable for high power applications - 5 speeds would be good also!

It's to fit a 1303S race car (will fit bus case if neccesary), Must be LSD, Must be capable of handling at least 250HP reliably (prefer 300+)(we have close to 240 HP now - 2.8 type4)

The current trans is a stock 1303S box (welded gears), with a Subaru LSD grafted in - this time the Subaru LSD exploded, last time it was 3rd gear which disintegrated! Now it's time to get serious.

Any pointers appreciated. I am in New Zealand, so australia would be very handy, but anywhere else is fine too - we'll just have to ship it!

Allan Williams

Reply to
Allan Williams

Everyone seems to swear by Rancho Performance transmissions, although I have never been able to affod one of them:

This guy, Jake, specializes in T4 conversions for bugs, ghias, and has some tranny ideas on his page:

I spoke with him on the phone a couple months ago, as I am going to put a T4 into my '67 beetle someday, seemed very knowledgeable.

Reply to
ekoman

If you can't afford a Rancho, how the hell can you afford a Jake Raby T4? You got an inheritance coming in?

Reply to
jjs

Sssh! I was planning to sell my kids on the black market! ;)

I have the T4 engine I was going to use laying about, just was going to get the cooling fan conversion and other stuff from him, which seemed almost reasonable, but I think I will still have to get a second mortgage on the house to do this conversion the right way, so it's been pretty much shelved for now.

Reply to
ekoman