Brake problems

I finally started work on my 69 Beetle that's been sitting for quite awhile. Of course the brakes were locked-up, so I pulled the wheels and drums and cleaned everything-up, bled the brakes (got good pedal) and got it rolling again. First time out of the garage, the front brakes were not releasing completely and were dragging pretty good. I pulled the front hubs again and put new wheel cylinders on the front, and started to bleed the brakes and this is where things got wierd.

First of all, because I am a dumbass, I had to replace the left front steel brake line, which went rather well, but introduced lots of air in the lines. So I go to bleed the brakes again and I'm not getting anything from the rear bleeder valves. My assistant (wife) says there is no pedal travel at all when I open the rear valves. There is pressure, but the pressure does not release when I open the rear bleeder valves. This morning it occured to me that I had backed-off the star wheels completely and never re-adjusted, could this be causing this behavior?

2nd problem, I noticed brake fluid dripping from the left front when I was bleeding it. I removed the drum again and it seems to be coming from the wheel cylinder, which is new (aftermarket from FLAPS). Could I have done anything to cause this, or did I just buy a defective part?

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to
ballantiner

Can help you on your issues but I would replace all rubber lines and wheel cylinder first. We must always replace thinks on pars when it concerns to brakes and I can't believe that one line is bad and the others are good.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

My hunch (pretty strong one) is that the brake hoses (2 in the rear) are clogged preventing bleeding. After exactly 35 years the rubber swells up inside.

Just get a new cylinder for the leaking frt one. Doubt it's anything you did unless the pistons popped out.

While you are at this, carefully inspect the brake line where it runs under the pedal cluster. They often rust out there and you won't know about it until the day you *really* need the brakes.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Heh, one line was bad because of me. The MC looks like it's been replaced at some point, and the rest of the lines are great. This bug was garaged for much of it's life. I'll replace the rubber lines (and cyl) and go from there.

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to
ballantiner

That was my option :-) Check if the shoes are contaminated or worn. If so, replace them and resurface the drums surface.

Reply to
joao_eliseu