Re: 69 beetle stoplight switch

> I am looking for some help with my 69 beetle wiring on the stoplight > switches. I am fixing up the car I bought and found that the previous owner > had cut off the connectors and spliced the wires. Does someone know the wire > colors and which prongs they go to on the three prong switches. The car has > two switches as it has a dual master cylinder. The previous owner had the > three wires daisychained to each switch at onetime but they were hanging in > the breeze. > > Any help is greatly appreciated. > > Jim

Look on my web site for the stop light switch wiring. Your car originally had (2) 2-prong switches *plus* a third warning light switch. When the master cyl was replaced, the newer (2) 3-prong switch setup had to be installed.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Wow, that is great. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Reply to
James Isaacson

Interesting! I think this may explain something that happened to me.

On my 69 bug, I had an independent VW shop replace the MC (it was back in '95 or so) for me. The guy that owned it had a nice German accent... figured he's *gotta* know what he's doing, right?

When he was done, I went to get the car. I quickly noticed that something was weird. If I stepped on the brake, the ignition would come on. In this setup, I could actually keep the engine running after turning off and removing the key by simply keeping pressure on the brake pedal.

The guy at the shop said it had this behavior when I gave it to him. Uh, no, it did *not*!

Whatever... I drove the car home and messsed with the wiring at the MC until it behaved like it was supposed to. If I recall, I ended up taping up an electrical connection or two. It's still like that and has never had a problem. It's been a lot of years and I don't recall the details, but eventually I'd like to get this right. I may revisit this issue in a few months.

-Rob J

Reply to
Rob J