Can I Use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims?

Anyone use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims on their Beetle, Type III or Type IV?

here is a quote from the link below:

For a Beetle, a Type III or a Type IV, the best inexpensive choice is a

175/70R15 radial. It was optional on some Beetles and standard on Type >IVs, and fits well on the common 15x4.5" wheel (and OK on the narrower >15x4 wheel). >If you have wider wheels (such as 15x5.5), you can still use 175/70R15, >which sits well on this rim, but you may consider getting performance >tires (Pirelli is my choice, but they're not cheap) in either 195/60R15 >(a little low, provides better acceleration but speedo shows too high) >or 205/60R15 (just about right height, but more expensive, and may have >clearance problems in some models).

You should *NOT* put 60-series tires

in a swing axle suspension car, though! >If you have a Porsche 914, 195/60R15 is the largest "safe" size. If you >have wheels with the right offset, 205/60R15 may work (it didn't for me). >Again, 175/70R15 is the stock size. >Remember that as a rule of thumb, any given tire will handle better if it >is mounted on a wider rim. 60-series tires will handle better than 70- >series, but at the expense of some ride comfort.

Link:

(Fred)+Heitkemper+(Fred+the+Ranger)#93851ccae19db0f3 I think I might try it on my 1973 Beetle. I was saving up for some 15 X 5.5 rims. I could use that money for something else.

Reply to
Jim347a

That article was written in 1996.

I can not find 175/70R15 radials anywhere.

Reply to
Jim347a

My Beetle mostly just sits on the drive. The tires I have on it should last another 3 or more years. That should give me time to save up for some new 5.5 x 15 rims or just get some Chinese Nankang tires from acnet or cip1.

Reply to
Jim347a