New and improved chicken coop

I'm trying hard to learn to be a hick since I moved out to the country. Yeah... maybe we went a little overboard for 4 chickens but... (actually only have 2 chickens, but are gonna get 2 more very very soon). Still gotta make a couple of nesting boxes for the coop, have to make a small ramp that leads up into the coop, have to set up the food/water supply stuff, a little trim work, add a latch on the small doorway into the coop... little stuff like that, but it's mostly done. At least the hard part is. It is 100% enclosed (floor, ceiling, all sides) with welded wire fence. Overall dimensions are

8'X8'X6' tall. Doorway is 2.5' wide.

doors for easy access to coop/nesting boxes for collecting eggs:
doorway so we can clean it out and get them fresh food/water:
showing how the top is also covered with the welded wirefencing. Nothing's gonna get in or out of this thing unless we wantit to:

Shag

2 doors for easy access to coop/nesting boxes for collecting eggs:>

The doorway so we can clean it out and get them fresh food/water:>

Shot showing how the top is also covered with the welded wire> fencing. Nothing's gonna get in or out of this thing unless we want> it to:

Cool!

Are you going to eat the chickens as well as the eggs? I'll bet the children will be trilled getting to play with their dinner. :-]

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Nice job. Want to come over. We need a new coop real bad but it needs to be able to hold about 100 or so chickens.

I need some new goat sheds also. I'll supply the beer and pickled pigs feet.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

boy, I say boy. (best Foghorn Leghorn I can do) That's some chicken coop! If you want healthy chickens/eggs ditch the floor and put it on wheels. Chickens do much better with rotating ground cover. Kinda like free range chickens but you're moving the range. Good for the ground, good for the chickens. All the Hicks know the difference between free range chickens/eggs, and the stuff at the store. Seriously dude. Try the taste test between factory eggs or meat and that from chickens on the loose. A quick search of Mother Earth News will result in no fewer than 35 million articles on chickens and eggs all repeating the above information. Props to you for going native.

Reply to
jtbartlett

We freerange our chickens but do put them up in a coop at night due to predators. Lots and lots of predators. 4 legged and winged. A chicken tractor would be nice but might be kind of impracticle on our farm. Very steep and rugged terrain.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Looks great Shag. When I was living in Hawai'i everyone had chickens. I kinda miss it. There were even chickens at the church in Keokea where I got married.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I hate the smell.

:)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Tastes good but smells bad..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Fowl :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Then you aren't cleaning the cage area well. Grab a hose, replace the bedding.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Think of them as a baby's diapers. You don't change it and clean it, it smells like shit.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

rub it in why don't you. got 2 rugrats in diapers, both have diarrhea....

Reply to
Jan Andersson

CONTRACEPTION ?

:'(

Reply to
P.J.Berg

We got some yesterday and I'm glad to report we are back "online" with the things that they were bought for. Had to get some more tonight :) Hope they work.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Mine must be defective.... and I think there's a no return clause in small print somewhere in the paperwork :/

Reply to
Jan

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 CONTRACEPTION ?

Isn't that also called marriage ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

HA! Up here we have 5 Years on all items meant to last longer than two years.

Even small s**te you buy in the shops we have 30 days return on, no questions asked, all there is needed is the original receipt.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Just wait until you've been married a tad bit longer. I think I've been married 23 years now. Seems longer some days.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

How's the new coop working out by now ?