Checking for exhaust leaks

I just put a new header style exhaust system on my '73 Baja and I think I have a few leaks. I can plug the stinger type exhaust and the beast keeps on running. I does not even slow down. I have checked as best I can for loose or misaligned parts but I can not find any. I think there are some areas where the header merges that are not welded air tight. The air movement around the back of my engine (back of car) makes it hard to determine if the air I am feeling is from a leak or the cooling air blowing out the back. Anyone have any tricks for finding leaks in this situation?

Reply to
Gordon Parks

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:58:45 GMT, "Gordon Parks" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

a few leaks. I can plug the stinger type exhaust and the beast keeps on running. I does not even slow down. I have checked as best I can for loose or misaligned parts but I can not find any. I think there are some areas where the header merges that are not welded air tight. The air movement around the back of my engine (back of car) makes it hard to determine if the air I am feeling is from a leak or the cooling air blowing out the back. Anyone have any tricks for finding leaks in this situation?

Yeah. Get a 3-4 feet length of rubber hose and use it like a stethescope. Hold one end near (NOT "IN") your ear. Move the other end of the hose around all of the possible leak points in the exhaust while the engine is running. You'll find it if there's a leak. Just be careful and don't blow out an eardrum. Standard disclaimers apply.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

can I also hear the ocean if I do this?

Timmy

have a few leaks.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Or you can run the engine without the fan belt for a short period of time. That will turn off most of the other air movement. Just don't run it too long.

Reply to
Olli Lammi