Clutch overhaul, while I'm at it.

Heck, since I gotta pull the engine to install the cooling stuff that Paradise VW sorta didn't bother to put in, I think I might just put some new bits on the clutch, which is making more TO bearing noise than it used to before I took off the A/C core.

What would be the basic clutch rebuild parts I should probably get?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

  • throwout bearing (right kind of)
  • clutch disk

If necessary

  • pressure plate assy

If leaking oil:

  • crank shaft front oil seal
  • clutch axle oil seal to transmission

If the clutch lever return spring is busted:

  • clutch lever return spring (to the side of the tranny)

But I would definately open it up first and then see what you need. It has happened that we bought a 180 mm clutch disk before and then found out that the engine had a bus flywheel and needed a

200 mm disk. Also you cannot tell about the required TO-bearing before you have looked in there.
Reply to
Olli Lammi

I also have to check my clutch, is it a difficult task for a person with a medium knowledge of mechanics? Do I need special tools?

Ant

Olli Lammi wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

No, although it is nice to have one of those tranny shaft centering tools. They are real cheap and make it easier to center the clutch assembly.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I would also use torque wrench when tightening the clutch pressure assy bolts.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

We request more information about that-there tranny shaft centering tool. Who, what, where, why?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

It's just a small, usually plastic, piece that looks like the end of the tranny shaft. You push it through the clutch plate, after installation, until you get it to seat in the ?pilot bearing? and that ensures your clutch plate is centered on the flywheel. On other vehicles that I have replaced a clutch on, it has always come in the kit with the clutch disc and pressure plate. If not, they can be bought seperate from a parts store for no more than a couple of dollars for the plastic one. They also sell metal ones for you to keep and use later, the plastic ones are intended to be throwaways. You can also use the transmission shaft cut off an old transmission if you have one lying around. Check out this link.

the picture, its the cylindrical thing with the ring on the end.

Reply to
Shane

It is called a clutch pilot tool. Check at your local parts dealer or 1 for VW's. John may have them on aircooled.net and I think JC Whitnay may have them also. It is a length of "tapered" rube stock the holds the disk in place while you tighten the pressure plate.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Bob Hoover method from the goggle archivesDavid

Reply to
David

I actually did just that.... used a tapered deepwell socket to line up the clutch plate. Worked fantastic!

Reply to
Mac