while i'm at it...

A friend tells me a cheap way to make my car that little bit faster is to get an air filter (or something along those lines.)

3 questions:

Is it cheap? Is it likely to make much difference? Is it going to make the insurance skyrocket?

See previous post for car spec.

Reply to
Paul Harris

The message from "Paul Harris" contains these words:

Be serious - why on earth would we look it up when you're too lazy to type it.

Anyway - cars come with air filters - carefully designed by the manufacturers to clean your air at minimal loss of power. Many people will sell you aftermarket airfilters - many, perhaps even most of them do nothing or even reduce your power output.

All I can say is that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Reply to
Guy King

Take it slow coz that's how I killed my first MK1 Golf 1.3 - 40 miles a day on the M1 with a four speed box - not good! :-)

Ignore the air filter - make very very little difference if any at all. Be better buying a new oil filter and changing the oil. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

To be honest, I don't really care about the claims made for something like a 57i filter, but what does appeal to me is that it costs £80 for a lifetime rather than £20 every 6-12k miles.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

£20 is a lot for an air filter! Mine's fairly large and costs about £4.
Reply to
Guy King

SteveH was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Actually, it costs more than 80 quid for the lifetime as you need to regularly clean and oil it, and that stuff costs money, too.

That said, I've read a few tests too many that demonstrate just how much dirt the high-performance filters let through so I'm sticking with bog standarf paper filters.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

drill lots of holes in the base of the air box

Reply to
dojj

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

:-)!

Reply to
Guy King

The Guy that designed the original filter was no fool. let it be.. give yourself a few years and a full NCB ang go buy a GSXR1000 if you want speed.

Reply to
JK

you mean a new 'sports' one

well, not expensive

absolutly none! new drivers always seem to think that the extra 1BHP that a new filter MAY add is something to get excited about. You won't notice it - and it may end up reducing power and increasing fuel usage. You're better off checking things like the tires are at the right pressure.

Tell your mate that an carbon fibre gear stick won't make much difference to the weight and performance either!

If you tell them you have 'modified it' then probably.

Reply to
Scott Mills

That's the jobby.

Some posts further up put it at £80. My friend said about £40 so it's certainly more expensive than I thought.

Yeah, he thinks he knows everything about cars but I thought it would be wise to check with some people who actually do before bothering to buy one of the things :)

Reply to
Paul Harris

The message from "Paul Harris" contains these words:

In his mid-twenties, is he?

Reply to
Guy King

150 as standard k+n's plus peco system made 177 bhp on the rollers on a warm day so that's pretty impressive wouldn't you say :) almost 20% increase
Reply to
dojj

That's Max Tosser bullshit.

Reply to
SteveH

i have a power graph to prove it if you care to lend me a scanner :)

Reply to
dojj

A bike magazine recently tested a load of aftermarket exhausts.

On a 130 BHP bike engine, the worst exhaust lost 4bhp, the best gave

6bhp. All of them at the detriment of fuel economy.

The manufacturers spend millions designing cars - do you think a tin-pot little parts company knows better than them?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

What, before and after?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

So why are you asking us lot then? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

yes, but the manufacturers spend those millions designing cars that are as cheap to build as possible, and it's obviously cheaper for them to put a £5 paper filter in that the owner has to keep replacing later, than a £35 foam filter, even if that does come with a million-mile guarantee. Tin-pot little parts companies - not that I suspect the likes of K&N really fall into this category - might well know more about extracting more performance from an efficient filter system.

Reply to
Tim Vincent

There's absolutely no way a K&N and piece of s**te Peco are going to give 27bhp increase on a 150bhp engine.

It's like those revs articles:

Owner's prediction: 190bhp Dyno: 130bhp

Owner's comments: Must be the weather, 'cos it was running 190 last week.

Reply to
SteveH