Dellorto carbs linkage problem

Hi, I have fitted a pair of twin choke dellorto DRLA36's to my T1 1600 trike. Due to height limitations I have had to use short manifolds and a cetre pull linkage. My problem is the Scat linkage, part No30050 moves both throttle arms to the right when operated, where as the carbs both want to be pulled towards the centre. I.E. left carb spindle turns clocwise, right carb spindle turns anticlockwise. Do I need a different linkage or is it my carbs that are wrong? ( I think they were off an Alfa) Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson

You have "identical" carbs. The VW boxer engine normally uses "mirror image" carbs. The only difference is the shaft, at which end of the shaft the linkage attaches to. The shaft itself isn't symmetrical, so you can't just swap the lever system over to the opposite side and turn one carb around 180 degrees. Shaft is too short at the other end.

You need to come up with an alternative way of fitting the lever pieces.. try mounting the other side upside down or fab your own so that it would also pull open like the other side. One would point down while the other would point up from the shaft... get what I mean?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hi Jan, I did try fitting one of the arms downwards but the heim joints on the linkage dont allow enough angle to reach that low down. I could try bending one of the linkage rods if there is no other solution, trouble is they appear to be made from some sort of alloy and as such presumably wont take too kindly to being bent. I have seen adverts for "push/pull" type linkages, would one of these sort it out?

Cheers,

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson