Syncronizing dual carbs

Is there an easy way to do this? I have never done mine. What happen

when they are out of sync? My car is running really bad and suspec the right carb is out of shape

-- bud68

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bud682's Profile:

this thread:

bud682

Joey Tribiani

When they are out of sync, one side of your engine will run hot. The head will over-heat and crack or drop a valve seat. Heat and gas mileage will get worse.

Reply to
jboothbee

Thanks to all

-- bud68

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bud682's Profile:

this thread:

bud682

Wanna bet? Put some real money down.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

"Is there an easy way to do this? I have never done mine. What happens when they are out of sync? My car is running really bad and suspect the right carb is out of shape."

There is an easy way but it involves using a syncrometer. Basically an airflow meter that you place over the top of the carburetor throat, and you adjust the carbs so that they both flow the same amount of air at idle.

The most crucial part is getting your linkage -perfect-. You want both carbs to open at -exactly- the same time. If you just barely touch the throttle and the engine begins to run rough, there is a good chance that one of the carbs is either out of adjustment as far as mixture goes, or the linkage is not opening them both at the exactly same time. When I had dual webber 40's I would loosen up the linkage locknuts, set the idle stops so that both carbs flowed the same fully closed, and then lock one of the linkage arms in position and turn the other one until it the other carb just BARELY started to move off the stop, then bump it back just a hair. That should get you close enough to make it run sweet. It usually took me a few tries and about 20 minutes to get it perfect.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal