Distributor not advancing

Hi all. I have a 1972 Beetle that is not giving me much acceleration beyond

2500 rpm. I had a Beetle mechanic check it out and he tells me that the distributor is not advancing, and that I need to dismantle it and check if the small weights inside are moving freely. Any links as to where this procedure might be explained? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Elvin

Reply to
Elvin Rambaran

Pop off dist cap. Try to turn rotor clockwise. It should move and then spring back when you release it. Hard to move at all? Moves but does not spring back? Does not move clockwise but you can move it counter-clockwise? Pull off rotor. Remove the felt pad in the center of the upper shaft. Get a REAL penetrant like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. But NOT WD40, you can't even piss out a fire with that crap. Fill opening and let it sit. Fill again. Put rotor back on and try to move. Keep filling until the rotor moves easily and springs back. But remember, you are overcoming the resistance of 2 springs down below. When you get it free, put the felt back in and put a few drops of motor oil on it. This is part of a tune-up procedure but NO one does the oil-the-felt part. Everyone thinks a tune-up is plugs and points and nothing else. It is even worse when the dist is converted to electronic ignition, then no one thinks they have a reason to remove the dist cap!

But I wonder why your 'mechanic' did not spend a few minutes trying to free up the weights??

Reply to
Karl

Your '72 should have a distrib with 2 vacuum hoses. Besides the mechanical advance, you want to be sure the vac advance is working.

Suck on each hose and watch the advance plate. It should move to the stop and stay there when you block off hose (tongue in hose). If it fails this test, one or both vacuum chambers has a leak or a hose leaks.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

back when you release

even piss out a fire

Keep filling until the

of 2 springs down

it. This is part of a

tune-up is plugs and

electronic ignition, then no

the weights??

Sometimes your technique works, but often the parts are so frozen together that it is necessary to actually take everything apart to get them to work freely. Nevertheless, this is exactly the right idea.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks all. It worked.

Regards, Elv>

spring back when you release

can't even piss out a fire

move. Keep filling until the

resistance of 2 springs down

oil on it. This is part of a

a tune-up is plugs and

electronic ignition, then no

free up the weights??

Reply to
Elvin Rambaran

...put the felt back in and put a few drops of motor oil on it. this is part of a

Hey Karl,

what do you mean by a felt? 'My brother's 1302 dizzy is a little lazy, i sprayed it with WD40 and it did some good but not too much. (will try liquid wrench later) Maybe together with that drop of oil it will do the trick. I looked in the haynes manual but no felt either.

Please can you clear that out for me??

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Remove the rotor. Take a little pocket screwdriver and push down in the center of the top where the rotor sits. Feel the felt pad? OIL it!!

Reply to
Karl

Now i know what you mean (i think). Haynes call's it a driveshaft, correct?

I thought that it just was a hole with a gap in it to keep the rotor in place. Hmmmmm, again.... learning all the time.:-)

Thanx for the input Roger

"Karl" schreef in bericht news:7AePd.5879$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
bug '59