Doesn"t anyone make vw sized tires anymore?

Hi all- I'm trying to buy some new tires for my wife's 79 Super Beetle, to go on the new 5.5X15 stock wheels I've purchased as a Christmas gift. Several trips to several different tire dealers has turned up absolutely NO choices available. A quick call to JBugs where I bought the rims and I was informed that what I needed was a 165SR15 tire. Seemed easy enough, but after several more attempts, the tire guys in my area are still unable to determine the correct size. Part of the problem is that the car is currently in dead storage for the winter and I'm not able to physically measure the tires that are on the car to provide any more information.

I really thought that this year I'd have the Christmas gift thing well in hand, but it looks like it's not going to be as easy as I'd hoped.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what tires I can use on stock wheels for the Super Beetle, short of going to the very expensive **classic** tires I've seen on line? Is there some way to convert the 165SR15 into a **modern** tire size? I've done a google search but it seems that most of the previously asked tire questions related to putting larger tires on the vehicle...where I'm just hoping to go stock.

Thanks- GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Xrayjuan

No I haven't tried Pep Boys...I don't think there's one locally. I have tried a number of both large and small tire dealers, and specifically shops that only deal in tires. I thought this would be a no brainer. I may take a trip to Sears tomorrow to see if they have access to any specs that the other guys don't seem to be able to find. Thanks for the recommendation though- GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

I'd recommend Pep Boys, also. Just had "Herman" shod with new tires from them for some ridiculously low price (like $160 installed?!) The tires are generic, but they ride very well and have a 45k mile warranty.

Larry '71 SB - "Herman"

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

My understanding is that the modern equivalent of this size is 165/80-R15. They should be able to find this. I went to tirerack.com and checked the stock size for a 1977 beetle, since beetle was not listed as a model for

1979 in their database. Here is the result:

They only have one at this size though: the Kumho Euro Metric for $27 per tire. Shouldn't break the bank.

Go back to your tire dealer and tell 'em you need 165/80-R15. That'll give you a final diameter of 25.4 inches if you want to measure your old tires for comparison. (That figure was arrived at using the handy miata *gasp* tire size calculator:

Hope this helps.

E.

Reply to
Eric Janzen

el=Beetle&autoYear=1977&autoModClar=>

I appreciate it, and that appears to be the kind of information I need. At least there's 3 sets of digits in the tire size you advise. That seems to be the kind of language the tire guys understand. I'm surprised though that the tire guys don't have some sort of reference that they could look up the size for a particular year and model. And its not like there were only 5 vw's made...while I understand that the demand is not what it once was, there are still a few of them left in the world. GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

The Kelley Metric comes in 165 x 15. Find a place that sells Kelleys.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Cooper tire makes a direct replacement for VW bugs. Matter of fact, they provided their 165R15 tire to VW of Mexico for use on the "last edition" beetle.

Check with a Cooper dealer, or you can order them from Real Source for $199.99 (+shipping) for a set of 4. P/N 106-274

Alan Nelson

Thanks, great tip. they do indeed have the size listed on their website, and a dealer not too far from home GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

The typical code is useful to understand

Example: 165/80-R15

'165' means 165mm tall (wall) '/80' is the aspect ratio, eg: 185mm*.80 = tire width 'R' means Radial '15"' is wheel size

Diameter: (165+165)/25.4 + 15 Width: (165/25.4) * .8

So 165/80-R15 is 28" in diameter and 5" wide

Reply to
jjs

Stock wheels for your car were 4.5 x 15 and the tires that went on them were 165-15. The rims you got are wider than stock, so they could use some wider tires.

I know that there are a few 165-15 still made, I bought some with the LeMans brand just last summer.

What you probably need for your stock looking, but not really OE wheels would be something like a 185/70-15.

-

Jim Adney

Stafford...............ok all of ya I thought the first part of the number was the treadwidth..............165mm the second part was the percentage of the treadwidth, that is the height of the sidewall............80 = 80 percent of the 165 or 132mm and the third part is most definitely the opening size/rim size.

15 = 15 inch diameter rim.

one can figure the height of a tire or the circumference given the tire size still though.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Gary...i would be kinda worried about *any* "tirestore" that does not know what a "metric radial" is...really....there are still many vehicles that run the "metric radial" and not exclusively vw...there isn't a tire store local to me that i *can't* get a 165r15 tire for a beetle...sears, NTB(owned by sears), and many others....tell them you need a 165sr15 *metric* radial...if they don't understand i would be hard pressed to let them even install a tire on my car...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

I think the first number is the overall width. the second is the aspect ratio beetween this and the height.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

..........................You're exactly right Jim. All 60's & 70's era bugs including 79 'verts came with 4 1/2" wide wheels. Unfortunately, the 185/70-15 size has become very hard to find. This <

> is the only source that I know of and they're $79.59 each plus shipping and then you still have to get them mounted & balanced. A good compromise is the 185/65-15 size which is only slightly smaller in diameter. I have that size on the front of my 77 bug with the wider 5 1/2" width wheels and my speedometer only reads about 2 mph too fast.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I was concerned too, though these are NTB and other similar sized chain tire stores. I think a big part of the problem is my total lack of knowledge in this area combined with the 19 y.o. customer service kids that have even less experience. And admittedly, I'm probably the only guy they've seen with this request in a long time. GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Good tip, thanks. I'll make a call today. GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

This is a fair weather car that my wife cruises only around town in. Speedometer error wouldn't be a big deal.

185/65-15...that *sounds* like something that might be available!

Thanks. I've got my work cut out for me to get this done by Christmas. GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Well there ain't nuthin more educational that fckuing(mangle) up in front of the whole world! Yep, I messed up. See what happens when I try to do numbers when I'm dead tired? I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG again.

(Funny that I had it right when I was sizing tires for the kit-car, but JEEZE to mess up in front of the Universe... like that...)

-- John Stupid

Reply to
jjs

I bought my "LeMans" tires at Firestone, less than $225 out the door -

4 tires, tax, install, road hazard...
Reply to
clay m.