Donor Fender Fitment question

I have removed the rotted left rear fender from a 67 Ghia. The nasty stuff is gone, leaving nice clean edges to weld to. The following pictures show where I cut:

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-330F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-331F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-334F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-337F.JPG I have a donor fender and plan to graph replacement sections in as shown.

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-338F.JPG So, I have never done this before and an reluctant to cut into the donor fender without a good idea of how to get the donor sections to be exactly the right shape and size to but-weld the joints.

Any tips, words of advice? I'm kind of stuck at this point.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

If I knew how to post pics on the internet I could show you some of how I replaced the outer and part of the inner skin of my 70' Busses lower windsheild sill. Cut it out of a 79' (only one decent I could find anywhere in any junkyard where I live) and cut a butt-load more than I knew I was going to need. It took me about 2 weeks to get it cut and welded in mostly because I had to use some of the outer A-pillar skin on both sides becaus of major pitting. Patience is all I can say..... it was the first time I ever did something that involved and I was absolutely amazed at how well it turned out! Now if I could just finish the Baja then turn my attention to finishing the Bus I might find time to learn how to post pics of the work I've been doing!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

fender without a good idea of how to get the donor sections to be exactly

the right shape and size to but-weld the joints.

********** Your answer is don't butt-weld. Get a flanger & flange the panel that's going on the inside, place the other panel against it, & spot-weld every few inches untill you acheive a solid weld. Use water to cool it to keep it from warping, if need be. Only butt-weld the areas where you can't flange it. On your first cut make sure you have a lot of extra metal to work with. Once it's down close enough to fit up then you make your final cuts. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver