Door problem (hassle)

I hate bodywork problems... always seems to be more voodoo than science.

Anyway, I never bothered (in the 5 years I've owned the car) to try and lock the doors. So I have this really cool VW key that fits the door but doesn't do anything, can't turn it either right nor left... And then today the wife calls me at work and says " I can't open the passenger door", Is it frozen? " I've tried both inside and outside, it won't open". OK. I'll check when I get home (after dark in the cold).....

So I f... around awhile and magically the door works... But, I digress, just how is one supposed to lock/unlock a 64 Beetle? (I could read the owner's manual, but I don't think the answer is there.)

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan and Colleen Wooten

If its like my 63 then you push the inside handle ...down (the opposite of opening the door) and it will stay in a down position. This is locked. To get in - you open the driver door, get in, lift the passenger handle up to unlock and uhh more up to open the door. Sadly i havent opened my door in awhile and i might have the motion exactly opposite.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

to open, pull the handle counter clockwise. To lock, take it as far as you can go clockwise.

As for the driver's door, I have a '64 and a '63 lock set. The key in the '64 just turns a little bit up or down to lock/unlock it. If it doesn't "stay" locked/unlocked I SUSPECT that the innards of the lock might need to be lubed. I am not a locksmith, but it seems like the "stiff" locks of this type seem to want to stay in the middle position (and not stay locked/unlocked very well).

Good luck!

Reply to
KWW

Thanks. Just the info I was looking for.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan and Colleen Wooten