Why did the mechanic say this?

I dropped my 71 micro w/ 3000 miles on the new engine off at a local car service shop in Encinitas, California, for a tune-up. I gave them a shopping list of things I wanted them to look at. In the list, under the tune-up section, I listed items like "adjust valves, points, check plugs, etc.", basic stuff. I also asked them to check the vacuum advance. Their mechanic, who they say has 30 years experience with VW's, asked if the van had a stock carb. No, it has a Weber dual, I said. He looked puzzled. "I'll have to find out how you adjust the vacuum advance with a dual carb."

Maybe I was asking for something silly, maybe I misunderstood his question about the carb (a Weber 40 IDF), or . . . what?

Mike "Feeling oddly protective of this old bus" Elliott

Reply to
Mike Elliott

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:08:27 GMT, Mike Elliott wrote:

..well, *most* of the time when dual carbs are added (or even when no) the stock vacuum advance distributer gets tossed out and a cherap centrifigal advance only dizzy (the bosch 009) gets substituted in its place. This is because the dual carbs will put out an less than optimal vacuum signal than what is requirerd to operate the vacuum can on a stock dizzy (short for distributer...saves my lazy ass a liuttle typing....although typing this ex[planation of the shortcut has more than negated any percieved benefits....::rubs chin thoughtfully::) This is a quick and dirty solution, and actuallt not so bad with dual carbs because oif the short distance in manifold and straight dump to cylinder heads, a littl extra squirt of the accellerator pump can eleminate (mostly) the hesitation found in a stock carbed and manifolded (like that word??) engine when using a centrifigul only system. To use a stock vacuum advance distributor with dual aftermarket carbs requires finding a vaccuum can that is designed to work with the proper signal strength for your application, or to use a fully adjustable aftermarket distributor such as teh mallory unit. Due to expense of the mallory, this is not often utilized.....although it is a damn fuine soluytion and the benefits are many (better usable power, gas mileage, etc.) In general the only individuals who generally buck the trend towards simplicity and seek optimum performance for their VW's have traditionally been do-it yourself type enthuisiasts. So there is a very good chance that in many years of VW manitenance he real *has* never seen a vehicle with a set of aftermarket dual carbs come in with a vacuum advance distributor....

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Thanks for the detailed and very educational response!

Mike "At least the mechanic didn't laugh!" Elliott

Reply to
Mike Elliott

.................ahem.........It sounds to me like Mike is trying to say that it has A single weber IDF.......not dual weberS.

.........Glad I could help!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

My ignorance. The carb is a dual-throat Weber IDF 40 something-or-other. Not dual carbs. Duh. What I know about cars I learned from my son's Hot Wheels.

Mike "How do you feed the squirrel?" Elliott

Reply to
Mike Elliott

I think You Just found your tag Mike.............

I dub thee............"Squirrel"

( not really my place to, but it fits real well.)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Reply to
Max Welton

The vacuum advance curve must be matched to the vacuum source that you give it. When you replaced your carb you also replaced the vacuum source, so you no longer know what to expect the vac adv to do.

In fact, I didn't think Webers had vac ports, so I'm wondering where you've got this attached. There's a VERY good chance that you've got this attached to some place where it's doing EXACTLY the wrong thing for your engine.

I'd be puzzled, too. Your best best would probably be to just disconnect the vac advance.

-

Jim Adney

Oh yea with a centermounted carb, you may be experiebncing manifold icing. You should get the more expensive heated intake manifold if you haven't got one already. Common problem with centermounted setups. Low end is horrible but at higher rpms it would work well.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
jimt

. . . [the mechanic]

Good thoughts. I'll take a look-see, but I bet I've just got centrifugal advance right now.

Mike Rocket J Squirrel Elliott

Bonus Question: Who were Gidney and Floyd?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Two Characters on Rocky and Bullwinkle...............That's the best I could find in less than a minute on a web search.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Web search -- forgot to say "no Googling".

They were the mo> Two Characters on Rocky and Bullwinkle...............That's the best I

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot