endplay problem

I frown on the Ghetto Rig Solutions Jan, LOL

I would never line bore a case that is that hammerred; get a new one.

John Aircooled.Net > >

Reply to
John Connolly

you should start a new consulting firm Jan, "GR Solutions". :-)

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

HAHA!

Just one problem: the customers would be too broke to pay me, if they had money they'd buy a new case ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

heh... hmm.. ok... I give up

1) Flange spacing shim: to mate a 21mm flange bearing with a 20mm saddle width... or even funkier size mixes.. you slip a thin piston ring-like metal ring between the flange and bearing saddle to take up the slop. Naturally the hammered saddle side needs to be machined straight.

2) JUMBO oversize bearing, beyond "not available": Slip a wide, cut-to size feeler gauge blade between bearing and saddle.. you get blades that are accurately made to consistent thickness, in 0.05mm increments, starting from 0.05mm ;) (remember to punch a hole on it for the bearing retainer pin... maybe add another pin or two.. drill bearing shells accordingly. This is not a job for a beginner, takes several attempts to get it right)

Don't shoot me! I'm just the messenger!

LOL

In no way do I recommend either of these, I'm just telling you that there are ways to go around the "impossible" situations if you really want to... if you really really must salvage the original 25hp engine case for your split window bug that gets driven 1000 miles per year on sunny days.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Well thanks guys for your help. We tried the peaning the bearing trick and it seems to be working well. Like you said though it is just a temp fix. I think it will work ok now for a time.

You guys have been quite a help to me over the last couple of years when I have found myself over my head.

Thanks

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rutler