Engine opinions...

I'm beginning the research and planning for a resto-custom restoration of a

55-57 Beetle, and I have some questions about engines. The car will be a "almost" daily driver, meaning I'll drive it when the weather is nice. I live in Oklahoma, so we have "nice" weather from late March to mid to late November, barring any freak weather systems.

I'm considering a 1776 with a freeway flyer transmission. Any opinions?

Also, what do you guys think about purchasing an engine from someone like GEX, Scat, or one of the other "big" motor builders? Is this the way to go, or is it better to try and find someone locally?

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Mincey

Do some searches on GEX and you will find it to be the least desirable "make" you can go for. Get a new Mexican longblock still available from

I believe.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:01:22 GMT, "Rob Mincey" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I've heard that a 1776 is a good choice as far as giving good power and still being reliable and I've heard that GEX *sucks* more than the leading actress of "Deep Throat" ever thought of sucking.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Rob:

AC net has a technical section witharticles that may help you decide what flavor engine you need to fit yourneeds. You don't really say what type of driving you want to do. Highspeeds? Quick starts? Long trips? Track time? Stop and Go? If you have thespace and money to build it yourself, it could be worth the selfsatisfaction to know you are motoring down the road powered by your ownwork.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Braukuche