Engine removal on 75 non-super

Hi I am new to VW since we were recently given a 75 non-super that my son and I are looking to restore.

At this point, we'd like to remove the engine. We have the bugme tapes (a great resource, btw) and several manuals. I think I can see the bolt on the passenger top side of the engine. Do I unbolt this one from the engine or transmission side?

Where is the other nut/bolt located? I understand that it is near the clutch cable, but am having a hard time finding it. This one is on the transmission side, right?

Are these top fasterners bolt or nuts? If they are bolts, do they bolt into a nut on the other side or into the block? Also, after I get the engine out, how to I get these bolts back in? (it seems these top bolts are really tough - or are they captive, somehow).

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
Remco

I think I just found an answer to my question:

posting it, in case anyone else ever needs it. Remco

Reply to
Remco

Super/Non-Super all same back there.

Passenger side is a 17mm nut on the engine side. The bolt is captive (kinda) by the starter motor. Use a 17mm box wrench, not socket.

Driver side is a bolt which you get with a 17mm socket from the tranny side. Use an extension on the socket and a long breaker bar. There is no nut; it threads into the engine case.

Assuming this engine is stock, it is fuel injected. That means there are *TWO* fuel lines which must be pinched off. And, since those lines plus ALL the fuel lines on the engine (injectors) are over a qtr-century old, they are due for replacement. The FI runs at ~ 30 PSI and a leaking hose is an invitation to a fire.

Get a box of little paper tags. Tag *everything* you take off in the engine: wires, hoses, plugs, etc. so they can go back the right way. The FI rubber hoses often develop tiny leaks/cracks or don't seal to the fittings; the engine won't run right with leaks.

Strongly recommend buying the Bentley Official Manual for '70 thru '79.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

heh heh, you're welcome.. you found my site

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks, Jan -- I especially like that trick getting it out the side. My jack would need blocks to get it hight enough to get it out the back. Now I don't need to worry about it. (wonder why no manual ever picked up on that one!!) Thanks again Remco

Reply to
Remco

Hi Jim

Thanks for that clarification -- I was wondering how in the world I'd ever get that nut on the left side back on if the bolt wasn't semi captive. I suspect it will still be a character building exersise to put that nut back on, no?

Appreciate the warning regarding the fuel lines. I took the tank out to clean it and will definitely replace the lines because they are very brittle. What sort of lines would you recommend? I take it to use braided stuff, but metal braid also exists or is that overkill?

Yup-- used my digital camera to take pictures of all connections. First wrote on the tag what they were and where they went and took a picture of both ends. Since it may take a little while before the engine is back in (bug needs bodywork) and I am having more senior than junior moments, I thought that would be a good idea. Your point is well taken, though.

I recently received the official VW beetle manual. It is very detailed, but it doesn't have an index (which is just plain weird). Is the Bentley manual better manuals or possibly CDs out there? Thanks for all the help. Remco

Reply to
Remco

If you have any questions later on, feel free to email me.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Use German clothed fuel line, the metal braded ones are for show or Racing only...

J.

Try

P.J.Berg

Doesn't John Muir say to clamp a vice grip on it so that it doesn't spin? It's been a long time since I pulled my motor... about 1977?

Reply to
Red Bug

Later engines use a "D" shaped bolt head so it won't spin. But you sometimes need a glob of chewing gum to keep the bolt from backing out.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

a lenght of thin thread.. make a big loop, and catch the end of the bolt tip with the loop as it comes visible on the engine bay side. Keep tension in the thread, pulling the bolt sideways.. now you can put on a washer and start the nut, the bolt won't back out.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Here are some pictures of the reverse procedure, also from the side:

Eduardo K.

That's a neat trick -- I'll try it.

The more I am looking at this design, the more amazed I am at the simplicity of it all. Looking forward to digging in. I'll be back if I need help. Thanks a lot for all the suggestion, guys! Remco

Reply to
Remco

What about use some sealing for "glue the D shaped bolt into the hole? bye...Michael

Reply to
MIC

Yes. That works too. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Rob & Dave's website has an index for the Bentley:

Scott H

Nice -- thanks! The official VW manual I have is indeed the Bentley manual (checked last night). I'll print the site and put it where it belongs: in the back of the manual :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco