Exhaust /muffler bolts - what should I use so I can get them off next time?

Having just spent several hours sawing the 3 bolts from between the 4 into 1 and twin quiet pack exhaust I was thinking there must be a better way to fix it back on. I tried all the usual methods to get them off but in the end sawing was the only option. I was a very awkward space - couldn't get a drill or grinder in.

When I put it back on - what can I do to make it easier to get off next time?

Copper grease?

Stainless steel Nuts & Bolts? (I have heard that it causes even more rust?

Brass Nuts & Bolts?

Is it possible to get a mini grinder to get into awkward spaces?

There has to be something better?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Will

Reply to
Bluedc

^^^ This is what I've used the last few times I've changed my muffler out. Much nicer than having to deal with rusted on bits.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

BT, DT.

Anti-seize compound is what I use. I use it on the tinware screws, exhaust and intake fasteners, carburetor and fuel pump mounting fasteners, alternator stand, spark plugs, and so on. When coating the exhaust fasteners you really can't use too much, you want all of the threads coated. That way next time it will come apart without having to resort to thread repair kits, saws, and profanity.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Chris,

Is Anti-seize compound the same as copper grease or is there something that is better at coping with higher temperatures?

Thanks

Will

Reply to
Bluedc

HEAT when it too late! MAPP gas may work well. Also some rust penetrants are "supposed" to work given time. Sawing should work, or a dremel tool which has helped me take some large radiator piping aloose saving the good piping.

Prevention.....yes try anti-seize and there used to be some made with copper in the mix. Brass nuts usually work too.

I remember having to replace the muffler on my '67 when I was on a trip. My best friends were a chisel and a hammer in a parking lot of the motel. Young, dumb and broke. lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The good thing about brass is that it doesn't rust when heated. If you use anti-seize compound, the steel nuts can still rust from heat.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I don't know, as I don't think I've ever used copper grease. The anti- seize I use is silver, usually I find it bubble-packed next to the RTV and such at the local parts store. I think the one I have in the toolbox now is made by permatex.

Since I've started using it I've yet to have a fastener fail on me.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

There's copper paste and aluminum paste available for just this purpose. I have used copper paste.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Stainless steel bolts and copper nuts.