Drilling out Exhaust bolts

Well, I took my f-250 into a muffler place and they were going to take off the right side manifold due to a broken bolt in the head, and fix it. 2 hours later, the guy called me and said he couldn't fix it, and I now have 4 broken bolts. He tried the usual trick of welding the washer and nut.about

10 times....

I get it home, but get gassed pretty good. I know this is a common problem with big blocks and FI lean engines. So, the muffler guy was doing it on a rack, and I hear that if you take off the tire and wheel pant, you may have enough room. Can I do it? I have an air drill and a cobalt bit. The front bolt is the one that worries me.

Any advice whether I can get this job done tomorrow and leave on my trip on Friday? The other option is to pull the head, quoted $1800 for that......

The muffler guy said the bolts were stainless, but I drilled one OK. Everyone else said they weren't. It's a 1994.

Try and fix it? Tow it to a shop? Any ideas? I also have a torch.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

4 bolts broke! Your best bet is to remove the head and take it to a machine shop unless you have a drill press and know what you are doing. The holes have to be absolutely straight and a certain depth. One mistake and the head is destroyed. Oh, the factory won't use stainless steel bolt on the exhaust.
Reply to
Doc

You could try welding a nut on them then removing they when the engine is hot (I mean real hot like just shut off) as castiron expands and it can ease the task. If you feel lucky drain cooling and heat area around stud quickly with a cutting torch and they remove stud. Heat will do it if you can get it hot enough. I have gotten hopeless rusted manifold bolts out this way in the past.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Try the guys over in Rec.outdoors.rv-travel, they have quite a few experts there. LOL

Reply to
Dave Lee