Gear Box / Transmition

Hello all

books and how-too's everywhere for stripping and building engines.

Look for how-too's on gearboxes and all I get is 'dont bother, you need special tools'etc etc

Is it reall a black art ? or just a case of getting the right tools ?

Also (OT: now ) Auto boxes - We are all used to changing the clutch plate on manuals relativly regularly - do the plates in auto boxes 'last forever' so to speak ? or what ?

I have been looking into how auto transmitions work since I bought the Firebird :-) They seem quite amazing !

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

See:

The VW autostick has a clutch disc just like the manual box. And they do eventually wear out to the point where the servo can't compensate for the wear. Replacement is *not* fun.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Two things:

Yes you do need a lot of special tools -- gauges, snap ring pliers, micrometers, etc.

Also, you need to be really good at feeling the proper play in a bearing, setting preloads, etc.

If you have the tools, and you have a multitude of automotive experience, you could probably do it. I've been working on cars for half of my life and I still don't feel confident enough to tackle a transmission.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks Jim

I will have a read, and do some more searching now I know people DIY it !

You hear about racers changing the ratios till they get if right for them, but all the books sugest gear work is either not possible or not cost effective for the DIY'er

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

? 2005?10?7???? UTC

+8??9:02:10?Tricky???

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL:

Contact: Anny Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Reply to
liangxiaoxiao138