Fresh gas odor

Recently, my '74 SB started getting a slight and occasional smell of fresh gas inside the car. No apparent leak anywhere, and with the cooler weather upon us, just a slight concern.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe Smith

Take off a front wheel and look at the bottom of the gas tank. Make sure it's not leaking there somewhere. Check the big old filler tube and if you need to replace it be sure to buy the correct size.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I replaced the gas cap recently on my wife's 79. Seems that the rubber seal had cracked and was venting gas fumes. You might want to check it.

GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Is a volkswagen, its SUPPOSED to smell of gas in the cabin...

Reply to
vwluvrs

Mine doesn't. Only time it does is if I overfill the tank, which I avoid by always putting the same amount of gas in when the needle is at the same spot, every time. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

You'd better get busy tracking down that problem and fixing it, then. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Another place to look is at the fuel sensor mount point at the top of the tank. Pry off the cover and look for failed rubber membranes in this area. Unfortunately, the el-cheapo sender (for the mechanical gauge at least) from C.I.P. doesn't even bother with a vapour tight seal like the OEM... You just have to avoid filling the tank too full. Darned cheap aftermarket parts. ;-(

Reply to
Red Bug

The same annoying symptoms on my '74 were the result of deterioration of the venting tubing found across the top of the luggage area under the bonnet.

In my case, this tubing was replaced by brake-line, when no good replacement for the original was found.

Have a good mechanic pressurize your fuel tank and you should find out quickly where the leak is.

Lloyd

*****
Reply to
Lloyd

I suppose I could baja it, then offroad down a bumpy road, splashing fuel around so it leaks out of the 38 year old cork seal on the gas cap.. would that work?

Reply to
Seth Graham

I'll bet it would, by cracky! :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

Whats the shape of your oil? I've seen fouled plugs cause unburnt gas to get scraped into the sump by the rings. Can give your vehicle a gas aroma.

Reply to
Lane Jennison

Plugs and oil are 3 days old.

Reply to
Joe Smith

My '66 smells that way.... probably because the fuel/air mixture is a little rich.

also on the cars with mechanical gauges there is a rubber seal in the sending unit where the arm comes out... mine is old and cracked. I do get a gas smell when the tank is topped off. I just dont fill it all the way full for the time being.

electric sending units don have that problem however there is a seal inbetween the tank and the sending unit.

Reply to
dragenwagen

Hey Peoples,

Do all these thing apply to a T2 because I'm always smelling fuel whether I've just filled or near empty?

The Bay from Oz. (78 Bay W>My '66 smells that way.... probably because the fuel/air mixture is a little >rich.

Reply to
Smegggg (John)

Reply to
ilambert