Front torsion installation

Okay, pulled the beam, got another one, then the arms jammed so I had to pull the torsion leaves. NOW I can't get them to go back in! I know there is a shaped opening in the center for the springs to index to, and I've read the haynes manual which says wire them or put 'em in one at a time, but does anyone have any tips/tricks that'll help?

TIA, Paul

Reply to
TinMan

Make sure the setscrew is backed out enough for the leaves to get by, and wrap the bundle of leaves with a turn or two of masking tape. That's what we did.

Jon

Reply to
jwnrj

Fro me, it' a positive _bitch_ to get them in. Back out the grub crews all the way. I've never, ever been able to put them in all taped up, so what I do is have my mate shine a bright light from the other end and I peer down the tube and slide them in one or two at a time. Much easier that way. Be sure to note that there are different spring dimensions. Put 'em in the right way. Use _thin_ layer of grease on each one (otherwise they get all glopped up and you can't see down the tunnel.)

One more tip - when you get them in the ain't over. It's possible (at least with the sets I got) to slide them in too far towards one end which leaves not much for the opposite side grub screw to grab onto. Make sure they are equal on both sides, then tighten the grubs and last, don't forget to push _lots_ of grease through the zerts.

Reply to
one_of_many

Well I tried it both ways, but finally had to do the one-at-a-time thing. The last couple were a PITA - this is not a job you want to try if you're not whistling, or had too much coffee, or spent the night on the couch... No, you need to be nice and relaxed otherwise you'll pull out the BFH and start pounding away...

Reply to
TinMan