Fuel Filter

77 Bus, FI, wondering where the fuel filter is located. I understand the tank is behind the firewall, is that correct? Is that were the filter is as well? I cannot find it, but maybe I'm not looking for the correct piece of equipment.

Haven't been a VW guy for long, but am a DIY-er.

Is there anything I should know before undergoing the fuel filter replacement?

Thanks!

Reply to
IanCT
3" from fuel pump. Fuel pump and filter are on driver's side frame rail, forward of the engine a little forward of the rear tire.

pump is a "silver cylinder" about 5" long and 3" across, the filter is white or dark grey/black and square about 3 X 3". Follow the fuel hoses from the bottom of the tank towards the drivers side.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Drain the tank before you pull any lines. Sounds like a stupid reminder, but too many friends have stories about pulling fuel lines and then fighting to try to stuff them back in place when they are blind from the face full of fuel.

Check your fuel pump for corrosion around the outer casing. That's were my mystery fuel leak was originating.

Reply to
Scott S

Excellent advice! Here's another one: Do *NOT* use a trouble lamp under the car when working on fuel components. Many, many mechanics have been horribly burned when the raw fuel dripped on the hot lamp.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim