fuse constantly blowing

Hi,

I have a fuse (16A) in my 72 SB that blows as soon as I swich on the headlights. It the one for the tail lights (I don´t know about other cars, but in this one there is one for the tail lights, both).

My question goes more in the direction of how to troubleshoot this.

Simplifying this circuit very much we have a battery connected in series with a fuse and a light, right? so if the fuse blows means that there is a short circuit somewhere, right? probably on the lights, right?

Please, correct me if I´m wrong. I ran out of fuses trying to find the problem.

TIA Ant

Reply to
Ant

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:19:40 +0200, Ant ran around screaming and yelling:

very first thing to do when a light circuit blows fuses is to change the bulb....have had bulbs short out and cause all kinds of problems that caused alot of wire chasing that was unnecessary... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes, a short circuit. A very common problem is the license plate light wiring. It is connected to one of the tail lights. The license plate wire often gets pinched in the little clips which hold it down or in the lamp assembly.

Find the end of the little harness for that light and unplug for a quick test.

You can also unplug the tail lights behind the tar board on the left and right sides of the engine bay.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I would be thinking of pulling all the bulbs, then replace the fuse, if it doesn't blow, then start replacing bulbs until it blows.

Reply to
Douglas

Man, you're good! That's exactly what happened, I just realized that unplugging the plate light the fuse behaves, so I guess I'll go through the plate light circuit looking for a short.

Ant

Speedy Jim wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Douglas wrote in this friggin' newsgroup: Sounds like a good method, I'll note it down for future reference, thanks. Fortunately I think I found the problem on the license plate so I'm going to replace the lamp and see.

Reply to
Ant

As an afterthought: If the 2 wires are reversed they will create a short since the lamp socket is grounded inside the housing. Brw wire goes to Ground. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim