Type 4 fuel pump with super beetle transaxle

I am using a 72 super beetle transaxle with a type 4 engine (73 bus) in a 69 karmann ghia. I ran into a problem with the fuel pump. It won't fit because the transaxle mount gets in the way. Is there a way to extend the pump outward an inch or so to give it a little room and still be able to use the mechanical pump? Will I have to use an electric pump? If so, Do I put a block-off plate where the mechanical pump was? Thanks for any help you can give. I'm so close to starting it up an ran into this unexpected challenge.

-mike

Reply to
spaceboy

You need to use a block off and install an electric pump and pressure regulator.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Wolfgang

Depends, ask the seller or manufacturer, or us here once you have the name and model of the pump to give us.

Filter ALWAYS on the suction side of any pump, NOT on the pressurized side. For obvious safety reasons.

Engine compartment is good too, IF these two requirements are met:

1) suction side of the pump 2) away from heat source, and this applies to possible gas leaks too. They should not have a path to drop or leak onto hot surfaces like the exhaust pipes.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Does someone sell the block-off plates for the type 4 or do i have to fabricate one?

-mike

Reply to
spaceboy

I don't know. I made my own from a block of aluminum, 10mm thick. Used paper gasket with it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I just found a couple block-off plates on-line that you can mount your electric pump to.

-mike

Reply to
spaceboy