JC Whitney Gas Tank

My 86-year-old dad ordered a replacement gas tank for his 63 beetle from the big Chicago mail order outfit.

I put it in his car the other week with absolutely no problem, except the throat on the new tank is SMALLER than that of the original tank and the GAS CAP from the original tank does not fit.

Whitney DOES NOT AND WILL NOT supply a gas cap to fit the new tank.

Here are my questions:

  1. Is there a suitable VW gas cap out there to fit the smaller (2.25" in diameter) throat?

  1. Would I be better off removing the new tank and sending it back to Whitney?

  2. How should I repair the old tank?

Thanks.

Reply to
Solid Citrizen

The "Real Source" sells 70mm and a 62mm caps.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

The 62mm they sell is listed as for 1968-1972 beetles. It also lacks the nifty VW emblem on the original cap. Not sure if the 62 will even work!

Reply to
Solid Citrizen

Can you cut the neck from the old one and weld it to the new tank? If you're not down with that, I'd send the new one back. Depending on how soon you need the car, finding a decent used tank shouldn't be a problem.

-Chip

Reply to
Chip Keller

return the tank and get it from someone that carries spares for the parts they actually sell!

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Gas cap?

Use a rag!!!

Reply to
unknown

Reply to
Bill Walraven

I went up the street to my neighborhood VW parts place. The guy pulled a Brazilian tank out from the back which had the same 2.25 inch throat as my Dad's JC Whitney tank (from another Latin country). He pulled out three caps and one (for a microbus) fit just fine.

Can't do that with moronic etailers.

Reply to
Solid Citrizen

Good for you