Generator VS alternator question

Today i was called up by a guy who had his fan come off on his generator. He wanted to buy my alternator, but i refused to sell, (mainly because i have only one spare on the shelf but about 10 generators. Anyway, i first had the thought, it CAN´T be that bad, until i looked. The generator mounting stripped and grinded a part off the holder, lucky for him not much and i could use a new clamp. I opened the generator to see a sad sight, the outside coils were stripped to pieces, no repair possible. The inside and bearings still fine and greased (after 30 years???). I took a few broken generators and took the best pair of coils, his anchor with bearings and a good pair of brushes. Assembled everything together and the generator light now goes off, i assume it works now. Now, how can i be sure it works, how do you test a generator? And what are the pro´s and cons of replacing with an alternator?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Look on my web site for: "How do I test my Generator?"

You can get more Amps from an Alt today, if that's an issue. Alt charges better at low RPM too. Less maintenance.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy, I wonder if this generator test can be applied to any car generator, let's say a VW rabbit for example? does it matter for the test if the car has an alternator instead of a generator?

thanks Ant

Speedy Jim wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

The test I describe is very specific- for the VW Generator; does not apply to Alternators. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Here's a pretty good test that almost anyone can do:

Get a pair of jumper cables and clip one end to a good battery. Alternatively, use the leads from a charger.

Connect the black (-) clip to the DF stud AND the generator body.

Hold the generator in one hand.

Touch the red clip to the D+ stud.

You should get a spark and the generator should turn. Be careful, because it will start to turn suddenly and try to twist out of your hand, but you can hold it if you are ready for it. Once it is spinning feel it in your hand.

If it is spinning smoothly with no "pulsations" it is working.

If it doesn't spin, or if it spins but spins with pulses or jerks then it is defective.

Switching to an alternator lets you get rid of a handful of cash and all the problems associated with generators and exchange them for all the problems associated with alternators.

Alternators will put out more current at lower engine rpms, but there is NO advantage to this if your generator system already keeps your battery charged. If your generator system won't keep your battery charged, then it would help to switch to an alternator, but you should make sure that your generator system is working correctly before assuming that the expensive solution is the only solution.

-

Jim Adney

An alternator will put out more amps than a generator and will keep your battery charged better than a generator will.

I got an alternator kit. It came with the alternator stand, a factory remanufactured Bosch alternator, and alternator tin. I had to buy a new short style fuel pump so it would fit under the alternator stand. I also had to remove the fan and mount it on the alternator. This was kind of a pain. Later I found out I needed an alternator v-belt, 11.3 X 912mm, which is smaller than a generator belt This alternator has an internal voltage regulator. I had to disconnect the voltage regulator under the rear seat and splice the wires that went to it. Let's see, I think the red/white wires get spliced together and the blue and green wires get spliced together. I soldered mine with rosin core solder and I tied the electrical tape on so it would not come loose in Summer time. Check at Speedy Jim's web site on the correct way to splice the wires when converting to an alternator with internal voltage regulator.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe