H4 Headlights

I was thinking about replacing the stock headlights in my 74 Beetle with those bright H4's. I'm in California, and I think those are supposed to be for off-road only.

Is there anyone else that has them? Should I buy a pair?

Mark Haag

74 Beetle
Reply to
Mark Haag

Ben Boyle

I got 'em, love 'em, and I'm in California. Yeah, they say "off road use only" because they aren't DOT approved. I don't care, myself. I can't tell you what or what not to do about adding "not approved" accessories, but all I can say is play nice and don't aim them too high when on low beams, if you do get them.

They have a nice pattern, but I think the difference in height between low and high are a hair too much. IOW, with the low beams perfect, IMO, the high beams are pointed a bit too high and somewhat right heavy.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Most of the world outside the U.S. uses them as standard equipment, so you can not go much wrong...

J.

Reply to
BergRace

They are awesome. ~peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Thanks guys. That was real helpful. I was just worried that they would be way to bright. I'll be ordering a set.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Haag

Euro spec H4's are illegal in most states in the US. Us sealed beams are illegal in many european countries.

Both claim the other is "dangerous".

heh.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Nor-Cal Dave

................One thing that really is dangerous are those xenon HID systems that are on some of the new cars. So far, they're still legal here in the US but hopefully that won't last too long. When I'm out walking our dog, even the the dog can't see where the hell he's going for a few seconds after one of those HID equipped cars goes by.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I use have used the same in several applications, NOT legal over here either. To take full advantage you need to feed them via a 30 amp relay, dead easy, and might save you from a fire hazard in the stock circuit/switch..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

How do you know the lights you find so blinding are HIDs? Lots of companies sell bulbs designed to give the "Xenon HID" look.

Many OEM HID systems are self leveling and will not project much light int your eyes. Mine have a very sharp cutoff and put very little light above a human's waist level. Granted, your dog may not be so lucky.

Reply to
Viking

They might be too bright, especially of you do a poor job of aiming them. However, lots of people use them and I've never heard of problems with the law.

May I recommend two things:

Do not buy ultrra-high wattage low beam bulbs--those can blind oncomming drivers if they aren't aimed well and are more likely to attract attention you don't want. Get 55/60 Watt bulbs or 55/100

Install relays, especially if you try higher wattage bulbs which I recommend only for high beams).

By the way, I tried to nstall CIBIE H4s in my microbus. They didn't fit because the housing is just a little bit bigger than the sealed beams. The connector interfered with the back of the headlight houseing and I couldn't fasten the headlight assembly. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Viking

..................My guess is that a late model SUV has OEM headlights. Naturally, I could be taking this for granted without really knowing.

................I don't know too much about this. Are all manufacturers using a self-leveling system? On a secondary road, would this self-leveling system keep up with the rapid changes needed on a road that has a lot of dips and potholes like the ones here in upstate NY?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I vote no.

-- Potholes and plenty of 'em! David V.N 1969 T3 FI snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMtwcny.rr.com Remove NOSPAM to reply