Help! Generator light flashing!

Driving home last night, going about 50 mph, with the heat on (which is weird for So Cal.). Anyhow, the Gen light started flashing. it gets dimmer when i revved the motor, but stays on. first impressions.... what could be wrong? Generator worn out? regulator not regulating? time to give up and take the bus? please help!

Reply to
jpower100

yes.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Check the brushes in the generator. They might just be worn down.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Reply to
jpower100

I would have said brushes too, but seems unlikely.

Put a voltmeter right across the battery posts and rev it (the engine, not the voltmeter). See what you measure when the light is flashing/on. If the battery voltage stays steady near 13.5 to 14.5V, the generator is working.

You could also do the tests as shown on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

how do you rev a vm lol

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

I don't own a voltmeter. will this do the job?

and thank you for the help!

Reply to
jpower100

Yes. Excellent choice.