Help with diagnosis 71 bus (1600 dp)

Will not start after not being run for about 7 days. Will start when jumped from good battery (my truck) Will run or idle great for any lenght of time When shut off and try to restart, all systems seeming to be OK, (lights, radio,buzzer etc), but no action at key lever, no start grind etc, but will start thru by truck. Could it be generator

Reply to
gcamick

Look on my web site: "How do I test my Generator?"

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I just a newbie on bugs but I'd imagine this technology is the same on all cars. Others here can tell you exactly what to check particular to the bug, but the following will get you started.

It could be your battery -- make sure it retains about 12V while it is sitting for a while. Some cells develop a higher resistance over time and thus cannot hold a charge or deliver any kind of power. It may deliver enough to run the buzzer or radio, but starting takes a lot more power than that. Sometimes tapping on the battery terminals with a hammer can aid you in getting the car started - but you will still need a battery once it starts. When starting, make sure it doesn't droop far below 10V or so. If it droops too far, it is just not delivering the current required to start the car.

To check the charging system, hook a multimeter up across the battery with the car running. You should measure about 14.5V. If you don't, make sure you see 14.5V on the alternator/generator, measured between body and fattest lead. If you see this voltage there, you must have some high resistance between the battery and the alternator (could also be a bad ground somewhere). Clean the connectors, check the crimps. If you don't, it could be your regulator or alternator, which is where the special bug knowledge comes in :)

Remco

Reply to
RemcoW

If all else works and the starter doesnt - without a jump, then I would check the battery conectors are clean and tight. Could be as simple as that !

Rich

gcamick wrote:

Reply to
tricky

When he asked how to diagnose the generator, I just skipped the most obvious cause of his problems. Glad to see you're here to keep me in check :)

Reply to
Remco