hotVWs news stand price increase

hotVWS has increased from $3.99 to $4.99 if bought at the news stand. Do you think the lack of competition because of the demise of VW Trends had anything to do with that? If you were to buy only four issues a year, you would be paying the same as a 12 month mailed subscription (figuring sales tax in there, too.)

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

Vw trends is a crappy mag.at any price. Volks World is very good but hard to find.

Reply to
gevans

the thought crossed my mind just the other nite, but never looked at the subscription price :(

Reply to
ysail1

Liberal thinking. If revenues are down, raise the price. It doesn't work very well, but it is terribly common. Even in taxes. (revenues down, raise taxes..no sense to it whatsoever)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

Ultra VW is good too - very glossy. Mostly pictures, some tech. It is from the UK, but some Barnes & Noble's have it.

Reply to
Remco

With VW Trends gone, I'm just glad to get a monthly VW magazine with the articles and pictures. Liberal thinking? If you think the market is there, start your own magazine and sell it for less with better articles, pictures and comments. I'll buy it. Maybe you could call it "German Addiction".

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

When they closed down vwtrends the subscription company switched me to a crappy eurotuner magazine so I have to live that one down.

However, this reminds me of when comic books went from 75cents to a dollar. We have to remember that the mag is probably wanting to pay for increased shipping costs and after all they DO have to pay thier writers SOMETHING.

5 bucks for a mag isn't that bad just think of it as 1 less trip to McDonalds. Read Hot Vws and lose 5 lbs a month!

But seriously with the rising costs in gas prices, loss in revenue due to the popularity of the car and the rise in cost of living. I think a dollar isn't too bad. After all I think hot vw is doing a good job in not putting in the new bettle and going for the tuner crowd.

Ok my 2 cents and a little rambling raul

Reply to
slugbug

Guys, I don't know where you got the idea that Hot VWs has raised the cover price to $4.99, because it hasn't! It is still $3.99 within the States. They haven't change the price in years, so look again at the lastest, or any issue within the past few years. The price remains $3.99.

Reply to
Dean Kirsten

Thanks Dean

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

I got my May issue, and gee, it still says "$3.99"....And honestly, and I don't work there anymore and have absolutely nothing to gain by this, if you consider the cost increases in paper, ink, printing, distribution, etc over the years since Hot VWs last increased their cost per issue, it's a wonder they haven't increased it yet. And believe me, while they do pay their help, NOBODY is getting rich working for Wright Publishing... that's not why those guys do it. Yes, they make a decent wage, but every single one of them could do much better, money-wise, by doing something else. They do it because they LIKE it.

Reply to
kaferdave

By the way, where are you now and what projects are you doing? Dennis

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I hate to be disagreeable, but I have the January, February and March copies of HVWs in front of me, and the price is $4.99 US, $6.99 Canadian on all 3 them. I wonder, could the publisher be taking advantage of those of us who buy the magazine on the newsstand with some sort of dual pricing scheme? Hmmm ...

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

same here...and the may issue says 4.99 US also.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Good Grief, mine are the same. Dean, what is the deal?

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Dennis, thanks for asking. I am now living quietly in the extreme Northwest corner of California, about 15 miles south of the OR border. I have a brand-new, paid-off, Ocean view, home, and am working at a place 12 miles north of home, called TMT Research & Development, it's an FAA licensed repair station, where they do metal coatings, and aircraft part assemblies. I do some of the Motorsports, like clutch coating (I wish I could tell you some of the neames I coat clutches for, if you follow drag racing I am sure you would recognize some of the names, but these guys are very secretive about their cars, and what they do with/to them, which, as far up the NHRA and IHRA food chain as they are, I guess I can understand) and assemble some of the smaller aircraft parts...next time you see a 747 or MD-80 at night, and the wing tip lights are blinking, there's a chance you are looking at a kaferdave-made part. I sold off most of the VWs, keeping only the silver Oval (I see the old

21 window is back up for sale on Randy Carlson's website) and am slowly working on building a hot rod, all steel, 1926 Ford, Model T Tudor Sedan. Mainly, I just take it easy now, waalk along the beach and through the redwoods if the weather's nice, do some fishing ( we get clams, Ling Cod, Perch, Halibut, Dungeness Crab, and Chinook Salmon, to name just a few of the fish that are plentiful up here, we had barbecued Salmon tonite, yum yum ) do a little reading, get on the 'net once in a while to see what my old VW pals are up to, and spend time with my wife... she didn't see much of me during my time with VWT and HVWs, so I am making up for lost time as much as I can....I still e-mail back and forth with some of my old RAMVA pals, like Bill Berckman, so, although you could say I am "out of VWs", having a 2-liter powered Oval, and still getting in here, on Cal-Look.com, the Samba, the STF, I guess it's something that never really leaves... 8=)
Reply to
kaferdave

Sound's like quite a life style change for you and for the better. The vw "bug" should stay with you and will have flair ups from time to time. Good luck Dennis

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

You made my day with that good news, Dave. I was truly concerned when you separated from the scene. Looks like it was all for the better.

Reply to
js

Same here. "$4.99 US $6.99 CAN" right there above the UPC bars. Not that it makes a difference to me...I subscribe.

Reply to
Gobusgo

My mistake, sorry, you guys are right on this one. I was unaware that Wright Publishing increased the cover price with the Janaury 2006 issue to $4.99 for U.S. sales. I was not in the loop for that decision, and until you guys posted it, I never noticed the cover "small print". Last increase was back in 2000. Next time, I'll look closer before I post..... Dean

Reply to
Dean Kirsten

I noticed the price increase about a month ago. I picked up the mag at a store, saw the price and put it back down. Just not worth that price to me.

Randy

Reply to
Randy