how to check transmission oil level

Would somebody on the news group give me direction on how to check and change the gear oil in my 1971 standard beetle. Thanks Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

There is one or two drain plugs in the bottom of the transmission. Some models have two, some only one. The plugs are in the lowest point of the transmission case. A 17mm allen head socket is needed. OR two 17mm nuts welded together.

The fill plug is on the side of the transmission case, about half way. Same 17mm allen key.

Fill it up slowly until oil starts overflowing from the fill hole. You're done.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
One out of many daves

If you want to check an already full transaxle, make sure the car is level both front to back _and_ side to side, remove the 17MM plug on the side of the transmission and insert your finger into the (fill) hole where the plug was. as soon as your finger clears the threads on the inside of the trans, dip your finger slightly and remove it. There will be a bit of gear oil on the tip of your finger if the oil level is at the correct level.

Tracy

Reply to
73_Ghia

Reply to
Glenn

I just have one thing to add. For future reference, before you pull the drain plugs, make sure you can get the fill plug out FIRST. It should be obvious as to why.

Reply to
jeckler

:)

Good point. They are tight sometimes.