I'm in the wrong business

Wife called an appliance place for the broken dryer. It was just the belt. Total time from the time he walked in the door and left - 16 minures. Bill? $121.00

Reply to
John Stafford

one of my best friends is an appliance repairman... that is about right, pricewise, depending on the price of the belt... his would have been more on the level of 100-105 for what you describe.. that said, it may sound like he's making a killing, but being a small "business" owner I know how much of that goes just to run the "business".... he's not getting rich, John...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I understand. In addition, he is just one employee of the appliance dealer. I know the shop owner and he is the last independent appliance dealer in town, and a very good guy. I've known him for over twenty years and he's never, ever failed to come through 100%.

That kind of service is priceless.

Reply to
John Stafford

Well, I got some good news this morning. We need new roofing. The shingles are all curled up - it's very bad. I found a highly recommended roofer (30 years experience in town), and it will cost me a total of $5,300. Not bad at all. It is a small house.

And I might even qualify for a discount for materials if the roof was applied within a certain date range. Apparently there was a class-action lawsuit for defective shingles.

Life is looking better already. Now if I can get my job back, I'll be in heaven!

(Roofing service is a lot better than it was when I roofed long ago. The supplier brings the materials to the site and places it all on the roof. No schlepping bales up ladders!)

Reply to
John Stafford

three years ago I decided I was going to tear off the 20 year old roof on my house and replace.. had no leakage, but some wind had taken a few tabs off the shingles due to them being at, or beyond, their life expectancy and getting brittle.... was talking with a friend that I used to work with(his dad was the contractor and we both worked for him) and mentioned it to him... he had been out of work for a bit due to an injury(broken back) and really needed the work... he worked me up a price that made it impossible for me to say no.... fast forward a year and a half and I was cursing him... I *know* he was perfectly capable of doing a good job, and overall I am fairly pleased, except for the five or so times I've been on the roof in the last year and a half fixing leaks.... I bought 30 year shingles hoping they would last longer than my residence at this house.... they might now that I've torn some off and replaced the part that nearly formed a trough that let water back up under the shingles and pour into the house!.... not such a good deal in the long run...hahaha

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Oh crap. The shingles I am considering are "30 Year Landmark". Mistake?

Reply to
John Stafford

No, sir, not at all.... my issues were due to a poor installation at a transition from a steep(er) roof to a less steep section...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani