I'm puzzled.

Hi,

Today i gave my bug a maintenance check, that is, i tried to adjust the valves, which i think went ok. However when starting to check cylinder 2, (and 4) i could not exactly possition the (2) notches on the pully in line with the centre of the crankcase, simply because i could not see them when possitioned under. Is there a simple way to line it up correctly, or is it just like i did, 'guessing'? I think i've adjusted them fine because is reacts better on the trottle.

I also had a leak on my hydraulic master cylinder, so i changed the sealing plug... This was easier said than done, taking out was a struggle but putting a new one back in was a bigger problem. I finally cut of the edges at the bottom of the plug to squeese it in easier. My question is: will this give a problem later? Ofcourse i will find out myself eventually, but since brakes are important, i would like to know this on forehand.

I hope anyone can clear these things up because i believe they are both important enough to keep it under attention.

TIA

Roger

Reply to
Bug59

The default method for finding TDC even on an engine that does not have a pulley on it, is the following: To adjust #2 , find overlap for #4 To adjust #4 , find overlap for #2 Overlap: is determined by rotating engine to the point that the exhaust valve is closing while the intake is opening. Get them exactly equidistant from their respective "starting-to-move" points. This is easy enough to do by placing car on level surface, shifting into 4th gear, release handbrake, and shove car forward and backwards as necessary whilst looking at the rocker arms. So long as both intake and exhaust are occupied by their respective lobes, you can be sure that the valves on the opposite side of the engine are ready for adjustment. Colin

Reply to
Colin

Yep. And soon. YOu need those pesky ridges for it to seal otherwise it will seep out and you will find yourself with no brakes. To make it easier, I pull the left front wheel which gives you more access and then just start the lip in carefully with a flat head screw driver. Then I grip my habd around the whoel assembly and squeeze it in.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I didn't cut of the hole ridge, just rounded the edge at the bottom. And only on one side so i can put the edgy side in first and then squeese in the rounded side. Nevertheless i WILL watch it closely, thanks. I did pull the front wheel, turned the wheel, but still a hard place to enter with those brake tubes running around...:-) (or mayby my hands are too big) lol

Roger

"Braukuche" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m25.aol.com...

Reply to
Bug59