Idler Arm Help

I have a 72 Super and I'm replacing all the components in the front suspension. My problem is the idler arm. When I took the assemble off the car the arm rotated freely but the bushing was defiantly warn. I replaced the bushing with a genuine VW type but when I reassembled the unit and torqued the bolt to the recommended 29 ft/lbs the arm will not rotate at all. In the Bentley manual it shows an arm with a splined broach. Mine is just bored and is received by a large shoulder bolt like #15 in this drawing

Anyone out there have experience with this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Since I haven't had my coffee yet and I am cranky:

Do not post aircooled stuff here. Last time I looked this was rec.autos.makers.vw.WATERCOOLED. The only time your car should be watercooled is when you drive through a puddle. I don't want to hear about such archaic things as "idler arms" in here.

--TW Yeah, so if it's about the Beetle, it goes to aircooled.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:51:47 GMT, "Tundra Wookie" ran around screaming and yelling:

"beetle" is watercooled..... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Really? That's news to me and the rest of the world. Perhaps you are thinking "New Beetle?"

--TW My tongue is bleeding, damn, I have sharp teeth.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:36:54 GMT, "Tundra Wookie" ran around screaming and yelling:

perhaps you are thinking of the "type 1" a.k.a VW sedan, as being aircooled? The only "Beetle" ever produced started in 1998...also called the "round golf" or "golfball" but they are not model names, only "nicknames"... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Me thinks the wooky is right, QUOTE

1949 - January 17th, First official Beetle was bought in America by Ben Pon

Hmm, I don't thing they were watercooled, air cooled maybe hmmm

Reply to
Mustangbrad

He said he has a 72' Superbeetle (read his post). Superbeetles have a idler arm and bushing from 1971-1974, then they used R&P which doesn't have it.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Mike

See what nonsense you cause when you post to both newsgroups - rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled and rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled.

Will it ever get back on topic - NO !

Reply to
Oldbie

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:28:19 GMT, "Mustangbrad" ran around screaming and yelling:

"me thinks" not...beetle is a nickname given to the type 1, vw sedan, much the same as the name "JEEP" was given to what now has become a JEEP...funny how that happens...BTW the "beetle" nickname was given to the type1 sedan by Americans...the first type 1 to come to America was Jan 1949...see where that is going...the book is written in "hindsight"...maybe if you read that book by Ben Pon it would be more clear?...anyway it matters not, we call our cars "beetle" and "bugs" and people call your favorite(from your handle you posted from) "stang" "mousetang", "slowtang", "rust-tang", etc...but that doesn't make it an official name...sorry...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled and

Reply to