If you don't know Don't answer

A while back I asked how to remove the needle bearings that are in the tubes of the front axle in a Bug. Someone told me that he just pushed them deeper into the tube and inserted new ones in front of them. Well who ever told me that must have a different beam than I do. there is a stop behind the bearings to keep them from going top far into the beam. Good thing I went to a shop and had them removed correctly. to all of you know-it-alls if someone asks a question and you don't know, but think you do, keep you moths shut.

Reply to
george taylor

There's a saying -- you get what you pay for.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Sorry to hear you got advice that didn't work. Maybe the person had a different part in mind, has a different part on his car or somehow worked for him.

Being a bug newbie, I heavily rely on the advice from this group but do check it against my manuals to make sure I understand it all and the advice makes sense. I don't think anyone here would send us down a dark alley, but it pays to do the research.

Reply to
Remco

Dunno where you live, but around here our moths don't make a sound. ps- you sound like a d*****ad :-)

Reply to
Shag

................That was me who made that suggestion and it was based on my own experience with a rebuilt beam that had been improperly assembled. I did drive that inner bearing deeper into the tube inorder to make room for a new one and I don't know why it didn't work for you.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Tim, you should have kept your moth shut. ;-)

Reply to
Shag

...............Seriously. I feel bad about this guy's experience and wish that I had an explanation for why his beam might be different from mine. Maybe someone else can provide an answer.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I don't know but I have an opinion. Does that count?

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

well Tim his original post gave NO information on vehicle type or if it was a factory or aftermarket beam.....could be it isn't even a type1....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Someone had already driven the previous bearings inward? Or the shop he took it to was incompetent?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

..............The way that I'm reading it, his inner bearing cannot be driven inward past it's normal position because there's a 'stop' in the beam's tube tube that prevents it from moving inward. I've only disassembled two or three type 1 beams over the years and successfully reassembled one of them (the other two had bent tubes from accidents). I do know that the one that I reassembled successfully is going on my '77 bug when I can afford to equip it with disc brakes. That beam didn't have any stop in it's upper tube because I was able to easily drive its inner bearing further in to make room for a new replacement bearing on the driver's side. I don't know who's incompetent here but I hope it isn't me........lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

WOW. Just plain wow. Is this USENET? Admitting a mistake?

I'd better check...... Nope cows can't fly and hell ain't frozen over.

Tim, when are you running for office?

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

unfortunately Bryan your post is not accurate...tim did not make a mistake nor admit to one(would be crazy since he didn't make one)...who knows why George thinks the meathod was wrong....but its SOP...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

My post is ACCURATE. I would never admit to a mistake, my take is the CORRECT one!

hehe.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

hehe...excellent...class dismissed....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

There are 'dimples' pressed into the beam just inboard of the inner bearing shell. These dimples protrude into the inside of the housing and seem to be there to provide a stop for the plastic sleeve which the bearing shell sits on. I don't think it is meant to stop the actual bearing, although I can see how on some axles the dimples are deeper than others. It's probably a case of bad luck that they got in the way and suggests that following the factory practice, of pulling them out, is the safer option.

Reply to
Peter

You ignorant fukwad. There are variations.

Reply to
johnboy

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:57:29 GMT, "george taylor" wrote:

What I find interesting is that you posted a question, then were given an answer. When you found it beyond your capabilities to follow the advice given, you took the car to someone else. Nothing wrong with any of that that I can tell. The person you took the car to led you to believe that the advice you were given was incorrect. At that point you acted like an asshole by telling everyone who didn't know what they were talking about to shut their "moths." You didn't share your experience and ask for input about what the possible causes of your "inability to perform" a simple task could have been. Instead you assumed (incorrectly) that the person who gave you advice didn't know what they were talking about. You came off as an arrogant, insulting prick who doesn't have the "skillz" to do a simple procedure on your own vehicle. If you'd come back and said something like: "I tried your advice but it didn't work on my vehicle for me. I didn't have the time to figure out why so I took it to a mechanic who told me the advice was wrong and he got it straightended out for me. Any ideas of why this procedure didn't work for me? Maybe your beam is different from mine and it works on some and not others?" ... then you wouldn't have come off like such a d*****ad. The question of "who doesn't know shit" has been answered a couple of times, but allow me to clear things up a little more for you by offering the answer again in the hopes that this time you will understand. The answer to that question is: "you"

Reply to
Shag

Imagine that, my opinion and Shag's answer are almost the same except for some of the words, sentence structure and thoughts.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik