Front axle beam

I finally had the time to check out my front end (76 standard beetle) Was not pleased with my findings. Both shock towers are almost rusted away, beam is fine. I would feel better replacing the whole beam though. I have searched the forum and found a post about someone asking about replacement towers for a 69 and if I remember right speedy jim recommended replacing the whole beam. I have searched a few part companies for the beam and no luck. Does anybody know how much these things run? I'm a little strapped right now, need to know how big of a piggy bank to fill.

Also I had previously posted about some brake and carb problems. Both are taken care of. Now I have rusted shock towers with one shock rusted free. Good thing I enjoy working on cars!!! HA!

thanks for the help!

Reply to
tinsco

$380 plus shipping. Just bolt on your brakes, etc.

jjs

Oh my god, anyone want to buy a bug?

Reply to
tinsco

Can't you just purchase the beam for maybe $150 or so and then rebuild it? More work but less cost.

IIRC I usually drop the old beam completely out leaving the steering box attached to the steering shaft but with its arm removed, unbolt the stabilizer from the beam, and leave tie rods connected to the knuckles. Knuckles come off the beam, then unbolt beam and lower it down. You might have some of the body sandwiching the beam to the chassis. Might need some extra force to lower the beam down. I then install the new empty and lighter beam on the car and start switching the parts from the old beam to the new one. Don't forget the seals and also don't forget to grease it up nicely.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If you can afford it, get the complete beam, it is worth it. Just the axle tubes cost arrount $200, and you will probably need reconditioned arms (yours will be probably rusted on the bearing surfaces, and the arm bearings will probably be shot, and the balljoints will probably need repacement).

If not, you have to find one in good condition from a scrap yard. Besides rust, you have to check the lateral play of the suspension arms in the tubes. Grab each arm and try with as much force as you can to wiggle it in and out, like if you try to bend it. You should not be able to notice any lateral movenent in the location of the axle tube seals. The front wheels have to be on the air for this test. You still have the risk to end up with a bent arm when getting a used beam.

I think you should bite the bullet and get the new part.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

? ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Of course , they are used front ends available.

Reply to
A Veteran

I'll sell you a very good used beam for $75 I just put one in a 69 beetle that was rusted like yours. I can easily ship. Ill even donate half to the WWW. Full Moon Bus Club.com, if you have a bus check out there site.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys