Is this a good idea, would it work?

After watching a friend installing the freeze element of a beer can cooler working on 12V (a little metal plate which gets VERY cold when power is applied) on a computer cpu, i was wondering if i could do the same on a doghouse cooler. I would mount a temp sensor which allows the element to kick in whenever the temp of the oil goes above a certain level. (what is the desired oil temp) These elements are cheap, i thought it might be something.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Not enough power in those. The heat output (Volume) is MUCH greater than what a computer processor can make.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Can you give us more info on that element? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

This is what i had in mind, or something similar.

Bart Bervoets

"ThaDriver" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

After positing, someone did a buy it now on it. If this was a person from this group, please post any results. I probaly buy one as well.

Bart Bervoets

"Bart Bervoets" schreef in bericht news:cdbvie$aib$ snipped-for-privacy@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...

Bart Bervoets

Probably the same *bastard* who outbid me on this luxury item I've been dreaming about for years. *sniffle*

Shaggie

Reply to
john c

Then you should bid on the item at the following link. It will save you thousands of dollars on beer over the next few years. :o)

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

AllElectronics(.com) has them surplus / salvage. -BaH

Busahaulic

It takes a bit more then that and other factors to consider working with peltiers. BTW as Jan, John and other said: Even if you get a 62mm

270-350 Watt Peltier it will not have enough cooling power to dissipate the heat.

A couple of things to remember is to use a peltier:i

t must be mounted on a (large!) heatsink, a cooling fan mounted to the heatsink is a HUGE plus. Running a peltier without a heatsink on the hot side will cause it to overheat and fail nearly instantly!!

The other factor is condensation. Without insulation, water will condense like crazy on the peltiers. This is why insulation is an absolute MUST for any project like this. Using perhaps a polyurethane foam like GREAT STUFF would do the trick to insulate it.

However. like I said before it will not work. Plus all the work involved just to get the Peltier to work properly is not worth the time, money and effort.

Just my 2 cents.

Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'Vert

Reply to