Just one of those weeks

Last week I thought I would have time this week to do some work on the garage & shop. But nope, our farm got hit by a tornado on Sunday morning. So once again the garage & shop get put on the back burner.

So I get to spend the next couple of weeks cleaning up the mess. Lots of large oak trees got uprooted and some just got snapped off. Of course more then a few had to land on the fences. Got most of the fences fixed except for 1 area. Found out the hard way that there is a nest of ground bees or hornets right where the tree was on the fence. Little bastards got me good and my wife had to take an epi-pen to me. That kept me down for a day. Went out the next day and put a long strap on the tree and pulled it off the fence with the tractor. Didn't see any bees at all so I waited and watched. Nothing. Great, went out to fix the fence and sure as shit, the bees swarmed and got me good again. More epi-pen. Guess I will have to find the hole and gas them.

Good part is we will have enough firewood to last for years. Will be taking some of the larger tree trunks to the local sawmill. They'll cut them up into boards for

25 cents a foot. Pretty cheap for good oak boards.

Bad part is we have to rebuild the chicken coop and put up a new goat shed. Good news is the 67 bug and the barn it's sitting in came thru without a scratch. In fact, all vehicles came thru. Trees landed all around them and didn't touch a single one.

Same for all the animals. Not a scratch or injury to any. All the goats have been thrilled with the downed tree. They love the leaves and think the trees make great places to play. Even with the fences being down they stayed right at home and no predators paid them a visit.

Other bad news is the chiggers got me yesterday. Got bites from between my toes up to my shoulders and everthing in between. Now that really sucks.

Some weeks and days are just like that.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Not sure what a "chigger" is but real happy Australia doesnt have them!. We do have "paper wasps" though which seem pretty close to what got you first. My preferred remedy is to get a can of CRC ( generic spray lubricant ) which when ignited makes a blow torch that very quickly sorts out the b@#$%^&s. Nothing wrong with pre-emptive strikes!!. Seen the shots from Galverston etc on TV , where the devil would you start to clean up. John

Reply to
John

We're not anywhere near Galveston. We're about 700 miles north of there but that damned huricane came up and got us anyways.

Trying to figure out a way to explain chiggers. They are a little insect like a mite that get on you and burrow under your skin. Once they get there they cause a red welt that itches like mad. I have yet to find a way to get rid of the itch. Folks will scratch themselves bloody and that includes me. I'm guessing I have a good 500 bites, welts and now scabs. The worst of the itches is between my toes.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Great explanation and pic too!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Jim

. I have yet to find a way to get rid of the itch. Folks will scratch themselves bloody and that includes me. I'm guessing I have a good 500 bites, welts and now scabs. The worst of the itches is between my toes.

Bacon grease. No foolin' Used to get then when pickin' blackberries when I was a kid.

Reply to
Michael Rogers

Bacon grease ? Shit, every wild dog in the area would be after me then....

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Hmmmm, didn't think of that. But it works, the salt draws the itch and the grease smothers the chicker. :)

Reply to
Michael Rogers

| > Trying to figure out a way to explain chiggers. They are a little | > insect | > like a mite that get on you and burrow under your skin. Once they get | > there they cause a red welt that itches like mad. I have yet to find | > a | > way to get rid of the itch. Folks will scratch themselves bloody and | > that includes me. I'm guessing I have a good 500 bites, welts and now | > scabs. The worst of the itches is between my toes. | >

| > Randy | >

| > On Sep 20, 3:24 am, "John" wrote: | >

| >>Not sure what a "chigger" is but real happy Australia doesnt have them!. We | >>do have "paper wasps" though which seem pretty close to what got you first. | >>My preferred remedy is to get a can of CRC ( generic spray lubricant ) | >>which when ignited makes a blow torch that very quickly sorts out the | >>b@#$%^&s. Nothing wrong with pre-emptive strikes!!. Seen the shots from | >>Galverston etc on TV , where the devil would you start to clean up. | >> John

Long years back (1955?) we use a homeopathic remedy of sulphur tablets (about the size of an Alkazelser tablet) that we took every day. Kept all sorts of biting bugs at bay and cut general itch from allergens

Down side there were some unpleasant side effects ... but this too would pass provide you stayed up wind.

Reply to
NotMe

At least my own dogs would like me then.

Worst of the itching is gone now. Scabby but not itching. Now I have some kind of bite between my toes. Guessing it's a spider bite. nasty looking and smelling. Worse then usual.

Hoping it rains a little bit today so I can safely go out and try and find the opening for the ground bees or hornets nest. Then I can gas them.

Ah the joys of farm living.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Worst of the itching is gone now. Scabby but not itching. Now I have some kind of bite between my toes. Guessing it's a spider bite. nasty looking and smelling. Worse then usual.

Recluse, maybe????

Reply to
Michael Rogers

Most likely. We're thick with those right now. As dear old mom would say "it will quit hurting when the pain goes away"

Speaking of spiders and other nasties. This time of year all the trantulas are out and about on the roads. Not exactly sure why they do it but it happens every year. Never see them anytime else.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Most likely. We're thick with those right now. As dear old mom would say "it will quit hurting when the pain goes away"

Good ol' country advice.

Hmmmm, better put a blurb in here about VW's or the moderator might say something. I've been fooling with VW trikes for a few years.

The just ran an article in the newspaper here for welders to go to Galveston with experience in Monel. Went to New Orleans after Katrina, gonna stay out of this one. You guys should be swamped in a few weeks with people.

Reply to
Michael Rogers

Guy about 10 miles down the road from us builds trikes. Been waiting for him to start another one. He'll buy a fairly decent bug and just use the motor and maybe the trans from it. Not sure what he does with the rest of the car but I'm betting I can get the remains for nothing. Just need to get my shop & garage finished so I have a place to work on them. My 67 is still sitting in the barn.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I'm no netcop, but this is a text group only... post links to pictures.... Yawn is gonna jump up and down!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

:D

I'm watching you guys... lol..

My server is smart enough to automatically block all attachments.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

my reader used to block them... i changed that setting, i was missing stuff...LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ooops sorry, been hanging out in too many "other" news groups.

Lets try this. :-)>

Last bug I had was a 63 with a sun roof and looked like metal termites had been eating at it. :)

Reply to
Michael Rogers

You owned 1 of Mario's show winning cars ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Nice trike.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Nice trike.

It doesn't qualify as a car in here, but it's the only group that it talking about VW's. At least on Bellsouth's server. Ya still have the same problems with it as a car.

Reply to
Michael Rogers