Super Beetle body-off

Hi

Have just bought an early 70's RHD 1302 Super Beetle (UK).

The current owner has gutted the body to restore his car, and removed the engine. I want an IRS rear end chassis for a project I'm planning (Speedster kit car).

I want to take whats left of the body off at his house before loading the chassis on my pickup. I'll also cut off the framehead to make it shorter - intend to install new framehead and ball joint front beam plus new pans.

I've removed the body from a standard beetle before.

Any tips on taking the body off a Super which might speed up the process for me? Especially with regard to the front - does the body still bolt down somewhere?

This was destined for the scrapyard - at least its spirit will live on!

TIA

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bennett

BODY OFF THE PAN

Remove battery, disconnect harness in engine bay and up front to brake switches and horn. Clamp fuel line and pull tank. Disconnect wires at the regulator (where needed)and disconnect the starter solenoid wire under the back seat. Disconnect brake fluid reservoir lines. Disconnect speedo cable at the wheel. Disconnect the steering shaft at the U-joint. Disconnect heater cables at the rear footwell outlets and at front footwell outlets in later cars. Remove the heater hoses between heat exchanger and body. Remove 2 bolts under fuel tank where body attaches to beam. (On the Super, there are 2 bolts hidden under rubber plugs instead.) Remove bolts under rear seat (cross-wise). Remove bolt under each rear fender well by shock support. Remove bolts around perimeter underneath. I prefer an impact wrench for these as you have a better chance of getting stuck ones out. There are a couple more bolts underneath each side toward the front (under the front bulkhead). These can be nasty to get out. Impact wrench again.

On the Super, the steering linkage must be disconnected or the steering box and idler lever bracket removed. Also, the struts must be unbolted. The track arms and stabilizer bar can stay on. Note that the front wheels won't be supported anymore.

I prefer to remove everything that can be removed to make the body lighter: hoods, doors (need impact driver), fenders.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim

It was the front ones under the rubber plugs and the steering which would have got me!

Picture at:

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bennett