Lining Ducks Up: Tapping Brazilian Block for Thermostat

As part of my engine-out got-less-than-a-week-to-complete-it project, I need to tap the bottom of the block (Type 1, Brazilian) to install the thermostat mounting stud.

I was looking at my tapset and it seems that the T-handle is gonna be bumping up against the underside of the head/pushrod covers area. Am I mistaken? This looks messy -- I don't want to pull the head. I'm not real familiar with tools available for doing this kind of work. What might be the tool/technique for doing this?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

good luck

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Don't use a T handle. I have tapped, laboriously, with an adjustable wrench and the patience of Job. Colin

Reply to
Colin

Yup! There should be enough room for just the tap. And if you drill a nice clean hole, you can carefully get the tap threaded into it straight and nice, little by little, using either an adjustable wrench or some other similar type tool. Maybe a small Vise-Grips (tm), something like that. Even a needle nose pliers, which might actually be better for getting the tap started, while you apply downward pressure on the tap with a finger.

PS: how ya gonna drill the hole? ;-)

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

That's encouraging.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Gulp. That's not encouraging.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Don't use a T handle use a ratchet with a socket to fit your tap....I did and worked great. The force is minimal that you have to use..Eric ...... been there done that

Reply to
Stutzsr

Cool idea.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Been there, done that... :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jesus,it ain't that hard.Ya ain't buildin' a watch! There's a reason why the tap handle slides back and forth.

Reply to
David V.N.

Okay, okay! My tap handle is about 6'' long and the tap goes right into the center. The only sliding I get is when I don't tighten the handle onto the tap very well, and the handle slides off the tap. Hilarity ensues while I mutter and ask myself how I got into this mess in the first place.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote

I love it when hilarity ensues.