Mounting Stud for Thermostat

You RAMVA guys have been great!

I now have a bunch of cooling parts coming from Bustedbus.com

It's been pointed out that my case, which is possibly Brazilian, does not have the stud to mount the thermostat to. I guess I need to drill 'n' tap something somewhere on the right underside of the case. What size? Where? What kinda stud do I put there?

Photo reminders of my setup:

7th picture (or so) from the top. Note cavernous hole where thermostat need to go.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I can take a picture of mine this saturday and send it to you. Don't know about the stud size, but its a normal all threaded metric stud, M8 or M10.

(insert Jan's joke about taking a picture of ones' stud here :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Coming right up...

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-353F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-354F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-355F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

So, that's -- what? An M8 sticking out about 12 - 15 mm?

Cool pictures. Whaddya got there, and engine on the bench, and handy digital camera sitting nearby and an Internet-connected computer within reach? Or did you at one time take pictures of every bit of an engine you worked on in anticipation of questions like this?

Question for the mechanically-inclined. Is there any particular material/hardness I want that stud to be? Steel? Stainless? And how does one go about making sure it does not come loose: Come real close to over-tightening it? Or put some kind of thread-securing compound on it before putting it in?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Something like that. Basically the same size stud as those for the stock fuel-pump and the distributor clamp.

I do take lots of pictures. Particularly when I'm doing something for the first time. Like building an engine from the crank up! It's sometimes neccessary for me to call an expert when I've done something dumb and the pictures help me explain exactly what I screwed up.

But, yeah. It's much easier to illustrate something with a picture. Particularly in a multi-lingual group like RAMVA. A picture really is worth 1000 language-independent words.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

It's an 8mm stud 30mm long. Leave 17mm sticking out and loctite the stud with 262. I recall using a flat washer, wavy lock washer and nut after the thermostat bracket is slipped onto the stud. Easy on the torque

- 10 ft lbs.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote

That Max is a pitcher takin' foo. :-) His site is one of the first places I look when I'm looking for specific pictures. Good stuff, Max ... thanks.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

M8 x 1.25, long enough to stick out about 1.5cm.

-

Jim Adney

wrote:

hehehe

M8

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Loctite. It won't be subjected to a whole lot of stress, it's just holding a thermostat bracket. :) Any grade stud will do. And no insane torque either.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Where's a lookup table to show how big a hole you drill before tapping for M8 threads?

Big. Hole. Drill. He he he.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Thanks for the link..... was just about to start looking for something along those lines on the internet in the next few days.

Reply to
Mac

If I look correctly ETKA says, it is a AM8AX38. So it is originally=20

38 mm long.
Reply to
Olli Lammi

Who knows how to translate that spec? M8 -- gotcha. "x38" means 38mm long, gotcha. Couple of "A"s in there.