Lock cylinder replacment

Anyone know a trick for getting a lock cylinder out on a 69 bug. I followed the haynes manual ( remove steering wheel, blinker assembly and plate over the cylinder ) then it says insert key and turn it a little and pull. I don't have a key, if I did I wouldn't be changing the lock cylinder. I tried a screwdriver to wiggle it a bit and pull with no luck. Thanks in advance for responses.

Jason

Reply to
JJW69Bug

Does the door key fit?

Other than that, pick the lock (tedious) or drill/punch it out.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I don't have the door keys either. The guy I bought it from couldn't find the keys. The car was sitting for 20 yrs( 69 convertible with

65000 miles). I'll probably try drilling it. My new lock set should be here anyday. I got a smokin deal on the car so a little extra work is worth it.

Thanks!

Reply to
JJW69Bug

I don't have the door keys either. The guy I bought it from couldn't find the keys. The car was sitting for 20 yrs( 69 convertible with

65000 miles). I'll probably try drilling it. My new lock set should be here anyday. I got a smokin deal on the car so a little extra work is worth it.

Thanks!

Reply to
JJW69Bug

This may be worth a try- Remove a door lock and take to locksmithy to have key matched.

OTOH...with such a smokin' deal.... Congrats on your find.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Well the drill worked, and I realized last night I'd never make it as a car theif. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
JJW69Bug