Mexican Sedans - Differences

Reply to
Ben Boyle

The other intresting point regarding that Golf....North America has never had a Golf GLX....

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Its nice car... more insulation, a 2.0 engine (GLs are 1.8) better seats, height adjustable.... Only problem is Digifant :) 93 and 94 were motronic.

95 was the changeover to Digifant. Maybe it was too expensive to move to ODBII.
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I find it really odd that they would drop Motronic, which is a better EFI system, and go with the older Digifant system...

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Wow! US$ 4000 for a 98 Mexican beetle! That's waaaaay too much money. Here you can get a slightly used '98 Mexican with A/C for about US$ 1800. That's the good part of living in the caribbean.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

What does ODB stands for? what is it? as you can see, I have very little experience with EFI or engine management systems.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
Ben Boyle

OBD stands for On-Board Diagnostics. OBD is designed to provide information about the vehicle's running characteristics, potential issues with the engine and emissions control systems.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I erred a bit... is US$3000 and US$3500 for the golf... (rusty math) but still... WAY overpriced...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Board diagnostics...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Can I use a MSD 6AL system with that? BTW, what's the best way to, lets say, double the power of that 98 mex bug?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Most likely....but I mean, would GM go back to TBI to save money? Not likely....

But I see what you mean...

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Digifant: dont touch it :)

Its a very closed system. Inputs to ECU are vacumm, temperature and throttle position. There are a number of systems that fool it by telling it the engine is cold an enriching the mixture, but its maybe a 5% increase.

Better to get one with a good body and a bad engine cheap, and install a

1776 with good carbs... (cant do that down here, emission controls)
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Dammit! I want to be able to still run the A/C. Can I just bypass/replace the ECU? or maybe intall a small turbo sys?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

It should be easier to fit the AC to the other engine..

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

There's no support on the engine I have for the A/C. And anyway, would it fit with my dual webber? it already seems really crowded in there.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
Ben Boyle

shoot, here we pay those prices for rusted out hulks.....i would buy a couple if i could get them for that WAY overpriced price...LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

You COULD consider the convertible a sedan... in which case you could go to

1980 in germany...
Reply to
VWGirl

i guess one COULD consider the Yugo a luxury vehicle, also...but i don't