Murphy must be in love with "Jenny"

Yes, Murphy reins supreme with my car (Jenny). I was just driving home from work today... thinking about how much fun she is to drive... How to some folks, disassembling and reassembling a car to restore it is a "miracle". But that my car was reliable and fun... then about 4 miles from home I smelled something just a bit off. It got stronger and turned into a burning insulation smell. I came up to a RR tracks as the gates were coming down... shut off the engine to glide to a stop and wait for the train ... in neutral... and the generator light was still on! Made sure the key was OFF and the tranny was in neutral... stopped even.. $#%&! I jumped out of the car, ran to the back and, upon opening the hood... saw that the big wire off the generator wasn't in the correct place, and it had broken off of the connector (it was shorting against the screw in the middle of the generator plug, between the two blade connectors). I grabbed it and twisted it around the oil breather hose so it wouldn't short against anything else. At least nothing was visibly fried! The train went by, I jumped in, started it up and ran on battery power (shutting it off to glide after getting up to speed a couple of times).

After putting on a new connector, though, the generator light is BRIGHT RED. I hope it is the voltage regulator and not the generator! Will have to fault isolate it tomorrow if it isn't raining too much.

Reply to
KWW

So is it a full moon or something?, another electric problem. Maybe VW's have a delayed reaction to the sunspots from last week. Hmmmm.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan and Colleen Wooten

Just OT if your state license plate has 7 or more digits and of course if you were into personalized License plates, you might want to consider 8675309 great number to go with the name of your car.

Sometimes I think we can self curse ourselves. Just like why nobody ever wants to say: "... it can't get any worse than this." because as soon as you do... IT DOES!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

You might be on to something with the delayed sunspots thing. I was in the office last week and an electrical component decided to go T.U. It was the automatic thermostat in the air conditioning. Ratcheted the temp up to 200F ans started overheating everything.

The bad news? My office is an airplane at 30,000'. Why couldn't I have stayed with the idea of being an engineer? All my friends are in college, in Germany doing internships with German engineering firms. A couple of them are right outside of Wolfsberg and got to see the new glass factory. Maybe I'll go visit them soon.

Eric

Reply to
EGad987

Well actually, many electronic/electrical components in one's house actually do die as a result of things like voltage surges... it just happens to be that they survive them, getting weaker and weaker, until a while after one surge or another they give up the ghost. Maybe that happened with your "office's" thermostat!

Reply to
KWW

Well, guess I get to look for a good used generator... Regulator is fine.

Reply to
KWW

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:31:12 GMT, "KWW" shared the following:

I feel your pain. :-/ Good luck with it.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Must be a full moon, cause my alternator is only charging with the green wire disconnected!!!

Reply to
VWGirl

..................If it's an internally regulated unit, there has to be some connection from the D+ terminal on the alternator to the warning light. If you have a 'conversion' from an externally regulated alternator, it may mean that some wire other than the green one was used to connect to the one that goes to the warning light. Speedy Jim has plenty of information about this at his site:

Tim Rogers

....................Did you test the generator?

...... Here's how:

Tim Rogers

I converted from a generator... and there aint anything connecting the light on the dash to the alt now!

Reply to
VWGirl

...............Take a look at what Speedy Jim has posted at his website on this conversion:

Tim Rogers
6or 12 volt?

I still have a shelf with a few on it.

Unknown works, but I figure I've got something that'll work.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Then you are running off the battery.

Reply to
jjs

Wow! My battery coninually produces 13+ V on it's own!!! A self charging battery! What will Bosch come up with next!!! And to think I thought the alternator was keeping the lights bright on that 100+ mile trip!

No, really.. the alternator is charging the battery.... else something else is, cause my battery has over 13V when the car is running...

Reply to
VWGirl

This is what I used, along with my last conversion, to convert in the first place... I checked it MANY MANY times... unless either someone changed my wiring (not likely cause it still looks the same at a glance) or the wires spontaneously moved... it may have grounded somewhere cause i have a bad wire in the harness that melted the whole way down... but still, i thought that it would not charge without that wire connected...

Reply to
VWGirl

...................Conventional wisdom of the principles of alternator function dictate that there has to be wire connected to the D+ terminal which provides an 'excitation current' in order to trigger an alternator into producing a charging current of its own. If you have some sort of wire at that terminal providing an 'excitation current' and if your charging system is functioning OK, then you're doing fine for now. However, if that 'excitation current' isn't coming through the warning light circuit you are running the risk of not being warned by your generator light in time to keep your engine from burning up if your fan/alternator belt ever breaks.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I know... that is the scary part... belt is in good shape...I just hope for the best for now

Reply to
VWGirl